Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Velocity vs Accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Velocity vs Accuracy?

Sounds like you have an idea of how this works, but check out Dan Newberry's page on Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) testing. It is a sound method of doing business and has never lead me astray.

Something else I didn't see you mention is your cleaning-cycle; are you doing all of your load testing within your cleaning-cycle both after the barrel is fouled in and before the copper takes a toll on your accuracy and gives you false POI's?

With that said, I like to think I have a firm grasp of how this works and am usually down at the Tacoma Sportsmen's Club (not too far from ya) on weekend mornings if you have any questions while you're sending them down range. Actually, I enjoy helping people working up loads so long as they have open minds.

EH
Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Velocity vs Accuracy?

I will usually start by finding the OAL and max load for such in the rifle. Then I will drop the load charge (depending on the cartridge and time of year) to where it doesn't show any signs of pressure and then adjust the bullet seating depth till I find an OAL that gives acceptable accuracy (watch for pressure signs the whole time). If that doesn't work I will switch primers or another powder along the same burn rate until I find a max load with acceptable accuracy. Anytime you change a component you should start low on the powder charge.