Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

velocity difference with regards to case capacity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

velocity difference with regards to case capacity

if you have 2 cases that hold 1 grain difference in total amount of powder, but you put the same amount of powder in each one. all other things being equal,will it make any difference in the velocity? i understand this is why we separate the cases, but has anyone actually tested this to see if it makes a difference?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,

On the fine end of the spectrum Goodgrouper would say you betcha, definitely..

At the other end of the spectrum there's folks like myself who just don't seem to care that much, which requires, in addition to weighing brass, using a nearly lab grade chrono and matching primer weights.

My experience has been with using a single case and seating the bullet longer and checking velocity and have found that velocity is inversly proportional to case volume for the most part, well almost all of the time, pretty much without sorting primers.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Writers Guild

Interesting

From my experiences of measuring some brass, I would be really surprised if you could find such a situation using brass from the same brand and lot. You might find this in military brass...maybe.

Most brass I have measured varied very little, if any at all, as far as case volume went AFTER fireforming.. This has been very interesting to me considering that I have been working with 'crappy' domestic brass.

For me, I want the combustion volumes of the cases to be as close as possible. They don't have to weigh the same.

You will find this level of difference by using brass from different brands. There will be a velocity difference but who is to say that wasn't also affected by such things as annealing, brass alloy/elasticity, flash hole dimensions, etc, etc

As to an exact amount, just grab different brands and find two with the desired volume difference and fire them. Post the results as it would be interesting.

Jerry
Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

One question!

What is the case capacity you're speaking of?

20gr case capacity might make a whole helluva lot more difference then 120gr case capacity!

Just a thought!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

ya'll talkin' to me?

I sort my cases into +/- 1 grain. Out of 50 REM 300 RUM cases I end up usually a few more than 30+. I then fire form them to 270 AM which increases volume a bit more.

What I think I'm learning is that there is a bit more sensitivity to any of the variables at the extreme end of things such as a 277 195gr @ 3200 than say a more typical cartridge at more or less factory velocities. Don't know for sure. Not quite enough experience yet. There's a reason GG goes to the detail that he does and gets the results that he does....

Additionally, I think that the AM's accuracy wouldn't fall off noticeably out to around 400 yds plus if I didn't sort brass at all. But for decently long distances, 500 and beyond the vertical spread is noticeable and gives me the vapors.

Last edited by royinidaho; 08-29-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Case volume variation by % definitely makes a difference with a given load..
You can play with this using QuickLoad. Or you can measure velocity difference between unfired and fired brass, for a rough sense of it.

Don't even bother weighing cases.
Measure H20 capacity.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

i'm with Mikecr on this one. i think weighing cases is a waste of time. i thought we're after the inside volume of the cases being as close as possible was the goal. case in point, i just measured 50 pieces by weighing the amount of powder each will hold. mine is a RUM case and 2 of them are right at 111 gr of powder and 2 others are right at 112 even. 3 of these pieces of brass weigh exactly 270 gr and the other is 272.5 gr. i double checked all the weights to be sure. the extreme difference between all of them is 2.6 gr. hence my original question is how much will 1 gr of powder capacity difference make if the same amount of powder is used.