Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Varying OAL on VLD's versus velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Varying OAL on VLD's versus velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
While we're on this topic did you note any substantial accuracy gains by changing the seating depth as described above while maintaining you charge weight? My thought would be it would just make the load go haywire again.

If you did notice accuracy enhancement did you then go back and adjust your charge for the new found seating depth?

"Inquiring minds want to know"
Yes, I did observe improved accuracy in the 0.050" off the lands seating depth in the initial range tests.

Then when I was preparing to confirm that finding and fine tune powder charges, my scope blew a gasket. And I haven't been back out to the range with the 338 Edge since. Looking for a scope now, and having a tough time getting my hands on a Sightron SIII with mil-dot reticle.

Unread 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Yes, I did observe improved accuracy in the 0.050" off the lands seating depth in the initial range tests.

Then when I was preparing to confirm that finding and fine tune powder charges, my scope blew a gasket. And I haven't been back out to the range with the 338 Edge since. Looking for a scope now, and having a tough time getting my hands on a Sightron SIII with mil-dot reticle.
I haven't got that intense with loading yet. Once I get a good ES and some decent accuracy with just the powder charge I stop. My lengths are magazine or as far as I can set them.

I did see some of those scopes on eBay but that's the only place.
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

I have noticed that if I keep powder charge the same but increase the OAL, I get a slightly lower muzzle velocity. I have noticed this with everything from a .222 rem to a 300 RUM.

I always thought the longer the OAL, or the bullet was closer to the lands that it would create more pressure and that it would have a higher velocity. That just doesn't seem to be the case. I havne't done a whole lot of testing with my bullets in the lands because I cant get enough neck tension to keep them there, when I close the bolt it just seats them to the lands again.

I just use a fired case, dent the neck, put a bullet in it, chamber the round and it will seat it relatively close to the lands, do that a couple times for an average and thats where I start my seating depth. At most, I'm .010" off which is where all my guns shoot well, either at the lands or no more then .010" off.