Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Vanguard Strength

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 103
Re: Vanguard Strength

Thanks for the help. Just worried about the low price of the Vanguard = low quality.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sedalia, MO
Posts: 1,253
Re: Vanguard Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270Weatherby View Post
Thanks for the help. Just worried about the low price of the Vanguard = low quality.
Nobody is going to intentionally sell a weak action these days, just too many lawyers out there. The Vanguard is a perfectly strong action, no doubts about that. They do, however have their limits, as do all actions. The difference, and where the extra money is saved, is in things like fit and finish, or things you really can't see, like barrel quality. They're strong, just don't expect them to be as finely finished or crafted as one of their top of the line models.
__________________
Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,557
Re: Vanguard Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Nobody is going to intentionally sell a weak action these days, just too many lawyers out there. The Vanguard is a perfectly strong action, no doubts about that. They do, however have their limits, as do all actions. The difference, and where the extra money is saved, is in things like fit and finish, or things you really can't see, like barrel quality. They're strong, just don't expect them to be as finely finished or crafted as one of their top of the line models.
I own two Vanguards, and two or three MK. V's. The fit and finish is only what the others wish they could do
gary
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
B23 B23 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Posts: 932
Re: Vanguard Strength

These Howa actions, IMO, have been one of the best bangs for your buck out there. Well, they were until alot of others started buying them up for donor actions. Now they cost almost, if not, as much as a comparible Rem. M700 donor.

Built a 6.5-06AI from a 270win Howa donor. Thru everything away except the receiver and bottom metal. Now it wears a Lilja tube, sits in a Manners stock and uses a Timney trigger and it is easily one of the most accurate rifles in the safe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Vanguard Strength

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
These Howa actions, IMO, have been one of the best bangs for your buck out there. Well, they were until alot of others started buying them up for donor actions. Now they cost almost, if not, as much as a comparible Rem. M700 donor.

Built a 6.5-06AI from a 270win Howa donor. Thru everything away except the receiver and bottom metal. Now it wears a Lilja tube, sits in a Manners stock and uses a Timney trigger and it is easily one of the most accurate rifles in the safe.
Did you toss the bolt? IMO, that's one of the big advantages the Howa has over the 700. Single piece, M16 claw extractor, 3 gas ports.

some of the Howa triggers can be tuned very nicely, especially the old S&W M1500's. I have two of those and have tuned them so they break like glass @ about 1 lb. And it was real easy to do.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM
B23 B23 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Posts: 932
Re: Vanguard Strength

Nope. Kept the receiver, bolt and bottom metal intact. This donor I used came with the super cheap plastic POS stock. The Timney was a cheap and easy way to go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Vanguard Strength
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Browning BAR strength elkhide Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 4 01-28-2011 11:42 AM
Firing pin strength , to much? James Jones Gunsmithing 1 05-12-2007 07:50 AM
factory prooftesting rifle strength???????? 30-06 boy Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 07-30-2006 04:10 PM
Savage tang strength subsonic The Basics, Starting Out 7 07-05-2004 05:21 PM
416 Rigby brass strength? Brent Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 11-17-2001 12:24 AM

Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.10%
112 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.21%
207 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 15.09%
129 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 47.60%
407 Votes
Total Votes: 855
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC