Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Using lube while seating bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Using lube while seating bullets

Was doing some reloadin gprocess review the other day and started thinkng about placing a smear of Imperial case sizing wax on the bullet or case mouth when seating. Noticed that Glen Zedicker (sp) suggested this in his book.

What are the facts about this practice vs leaving the inside of the case and bullet unlubed? What are your processes and what have you seen as far as results before and after?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Using lube while seating bullets

I don't use imperial wax for anything. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

However, I am always leary about the potential for lubes getting in contact with powder. It doesn't seem like a good thing to happen.

If shooting the loads within hours I don't think lube on powder would make 'that much' difference. However if loads were to be used next season.......not good....

Proper, consistent neck tension or friction, if you will, can be achieved with no lube used during sizing or seating. If I lube for sizing its only with graphite.

I run a nylon brush into the case mouth with a drill motor and see no need for lube on the inside of the neck.....

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=royinidaho;373772]I don't use imperial wax for anything. Just haven't gotten around to it.....

However, I am always leary about the potential for lubes getting in contact with powder. It doesn't seem like a good thing to happen

Proper, consistent neck tension or friction, if you will, can be achieved with no lube used during sizing or seating. If I lube for sizing its only with graphite.

+1 for not lubing the necks for loading.

Consistent neck tension is achieved by turning and thoroughly cleaning the neck inside and
if you lube the inside of the neck at best you would reduce neck tension and hurt consistency.

So in my opinion I would not lube the inside of the neck for loading.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

No need for lube IMO. You can reduce neck tension down to nothing if you want by using bushing dies or Lee collet die. And as mentioned, I wouldn't want to risk contaminating the powder.
-Mark