Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

useing once fired military brass??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Bronze Member

useing once fired military brass??

So can someone tell me what is involved when using military brass..

Thinking of buying some 308 brass,and wondered what I shouold be
on the look out for.I have read where you should decrease the load
a bit compared to regular brass and something about the primer
pockets may need to be swaged...

How is the accuracy of the military brass compared to say Win,Rem
etc...ThanksJohn
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: useing once fired military brass??

If you can get military MATCH brass it will work great. The primers in match brass are not crimped in. The reason that you need to back off about 1 gr of powder is because the cases are thicker and hold less powder and thus have less volume and pressure runs up. It will give you the same velocity but with less powder. Much of the regular military 7.62X51/308 brass has been fired in a machine gun and they have really stretched and thus don't last all that long for reloading. You must remove the crimp around the primer pocket. You really need to get you a Lee hand punch for removing the primers because the crimp is tough on some and it WILL BREAK your de-capping pin in your size die.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
If you can get military MATCH brass it will work great. The primers in match brass are not crimped in. The reason that you need to back off about 1 gr of powder is because the cases are thicker and hold less powder and thus have less volume and pressure runs up. It will give you the same velocity but with less powder. Much of the regular military 7.62X51/308 brass has been fired in a machine gun and they have really stretched and thus don't last all that long for reloading. You must remove the crimp around the primer pocket. You really need to get you a Lee hand punch for removing the primers because the crimp is tough on some and it WILL BREAK your de-capping pin in your size die.
had no idea there was such a tool from Lee to knock out the primers.....I am wondering just how long this shortage or hoarding issue is going to last..Because I am going to be needing some 308 brass for the shoots this summer..Thank you for the information...John
Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Dillon makes a tool specifically for removing the crimped military primers. That is what I have. It works very well.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
Dillon makes a tool specifically for removing the crimped military primers. That is what I have. It works very well.
Does the tool from Dillion also remove the crimp on the brass?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

"Does the tool from Dillion also remove the crimp on the brass? "

That's exactly what the primer pocket swaging tool does.

A lot of us prefer the inexpensive pocker crimp reamer from Lyman, chucked in a battery or other slow speed drill (that's NOT the primer pocket uniformer). "Best" choice depends on the volume and frequency of use; end result is the same but the more costly swager tools are perhaps the better choice for frequent and large volumes, say a couple hundred or more at a time and that fairly often.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"Does the tool from Dillion also remove the crimp on the brass? "

That's exactly what the primer pocket swaging tool does.

A lot of us prefer the inexpensive pocker crimp reamer from Lyman, chucked in a battery or other slow speed drill (that's NOT the primer pocket uniformer). "Best" choice depends on the volume and frequency of use; end result is the same but the more costly swager tools are perhaps the better choice for frequent and large volumes, say a couple hundred or more at a time and that fairly often.
I had a guy tell me that you can remove the crimp from military brass with a case champhering tool ???