Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Use of powder measure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Didn't I say that my powder measure is accurate to within .1 gr?MagnumManiac

Yes you did, but the way in which you said it it sounded like it was in .1 grain everytime you reset the screw, not .1 accurate on every throw. I have never heard of or seen a Redding BR measure be this accurate on big charges with big kernels. Again, you have unique results if this is true.

Quote:
My chronograph also shows that if I 'trickle' to exactly the weight I want,or use my measure,there is no practical difference in extreme spread until .5 grain +/- is reached.With loads either thrown or weighed,I have found that the velocity difference can be held to +/- 25fps with both techniques.Velocities in even tuned rifles can deviate more than this shot to shot,so the trajectory differences are there anyway.The biggest difference made to ES was powder packing scheme,as thrown,or 'swirled' into the case with a funnel,this method reduced ES further which gave only a +/- difference of 10fps.I do this for 600yrd shooting with very good results.MagnumManiac

Again, your results are unique here. Interesting. I see much more variation than this if charges are simply thrown together. Why be so proud of being meticulous about getting .1 grain variation on charges when .4 grain variation (you claim) won't make any difference?

Quote:
I know most of the bench resters here ONLY use a powder measure,of course they still 'check' every 10th load thrown on a scale.MagnumManiac

No, we don't. We might check our click settings by scale to see if volume has changed when going to a new range to shoot but other than that, scales are actually somewhat rare at a benchrest match.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM

I used different powder measures for many years until I had one slight overload, probably due to powder bridging. I then bought an RCBS Chargemaster and have never looked back. It is plenty fast for the kind of reloading I do and I can verify every charge weight on the readout before I load it.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Weighted powder charges,??

I've used to weight and trickle, but not anymore. I use RCBS powder thrower and there is very little or no difference between the two methods from shot to shot variation. Much quicker for the same bang.

Peter
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
Personnaly I use an RCBS Powder Measure and it works good. I weigh every charge, and they do vary to some degree. IMO the best approach is to set the powder measure a half a grain or so lite, put the charge on the scale and use a powder trickler to slowly and accurately bring the charge up to the proper weight.
+1, works great for me also.