Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Unique Reloading Issue, Ruger American 270 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Re: Unique Reloading Issue, Ruger American 270 Win

Try a factory load as a test you may have the bullet too seated too far out seat it a little deeper, or use a lighter weight shorter bullet as a test ,,,,as a test. then continue to work at the problem my rifle is fine it shoots every time...
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM

270 is a very good caliber 308 and 300 mag are good too in my opinion they are the most versatile .. I have shot all 3 at whistle pigs at more than 1000 yards .. I kill hogs at that distance because I sighted in the guns at 1 inch high at 100 yrds then I shoot them at 1000 and make a note of where to hold over on each caliber on my cross hairs ... I have shot 22-250 and 223 at that distance they are good too but since I don't eat hogs who does??? I don't care if they are cut in half by the larger calibers.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

thatguyshm,I had (gave it to the youngest son) a Tikka T3 Lite chambered in 300WSM and I bought new Win. brass for it and they would not fit in the chamber and I could not push the shoulder back enough to chamber them until I ground a little off the sizer die body, then, after a trip through the sizer die, they fit better than a glove. There is no sin in grinding down the body a little as long as it isn't over done.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

buy or borrow a small base sizing die. Ill bet it cures your problem
Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was doing a search to see if anyone had this same issue. My son bought one of these very guns a while back and I ran into the same issue. What I have found is it is not an issue with the brass, but how long your COAL is. I cannot load to SAAMI specs for this rifle (3.340") because the bullets jam into the rifling HARD.......I had to seat to 3.200" before it would chamber smoothly. Once I do that it cycles fine and groups are good. I have never had to do this for any other rifle before in all my years of loading.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was doing a search to see if anyone had this same issue. My son bought one of these very guns a while back and I ran into the same issue. What I have found is it is not an issue with the brass, but how long your COAL is. I cannot load to SAAMI specs for this rifle (3.340") because the bullets jam into the rifling HARD.......I had to seat to 3.200" before it would chamber smoothly. Once I do that it cycles fine and groups are good. I have never had to do this for any other rifle before in all my years of loading.
shoot it a couple of thousand times.... the throat will be about right then.... My brother is rather fond of rugers and has had a couple of rather short throated ones. His #1 in 300h@h is that way if I remember correctly.....
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

I had this happen with a 270 and a 308... one bullet had the canurel (ridge) around it. I crimped it when I loaded the bullet ,,, so it bulged the shoulder of the case just enough so the round wouldn't bolt in good. Another thing is make sure you have a good caliper to measure with, not one of those plastic dial ones; they're not accurate at all.