Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Unique Reloading Issue, Ruger American 270 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Unique Reloading Issue, Ruger American 270 Win

Sounds to me like a short chamber.

Did you measure the shoulder length and resize to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths?

If you don't have a proper gauge for it you can use a 40 S&W case over the neck to measure differences from the base to shoulder length.

If the shoulder needs to go back farther then either the base of the die needs a few thousands taken off or a shellholder needs a couple thou taken off the top.

I usually grind a couple thousandths off the bottom of the die if needed.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

So I grabbed a fresh case from my tumbler, loaded into the Ruger and it slid in easy as pie. I took it out, lubed inside and out with Imperial wax, sized the case and it was a no go. So then, on a whim, I lubed the case itself and slid it into the firearm, wax all over the case. Turned in almost as easy as the factory case. I'm not the brightest bulb in my living room right now, I have a 40watter flicking across the way. But I'm assuming this is a shoulder problem. Next step I'm going to do is to grind down the bottom of the die so I can maybe bump back the shoulder. I am getting to about .010" from the neck, and am thinking perhaps this may solve some of the issues.

It is funny though, as I love my 7mm. Its easy to load and shoots great. I love my 6.8 as well, same cal as the 270, but I just want to take a torch to this Ruger 270.

So I will grind down the die. I just tried the shim method and that didn't work. I appreciate all the help. I just know I'll be bald by the time this is over, pulling out ALL my hair.

Seth
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

UPDATE

I ground about .200" off the shellholder. Slid the first brass through, dented the rim a tiny amount, sized very hard. Backed it off about 1/32nd of a turn, no dent, but still sizing hard. I tried sizing brass that I had already sized, so I would just have to push back the neck a touch. Couldn't fully run the brass through the die on my second attempt. But the one that did push the neck back some slid in easy as pie.

I hate this round.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

I've got two 270's and while not my first choice( I got free brass and dies from my brother when I was looking at a "truck" for a caliber, they go bang at the range just fine. Then my wife get's me another one, so I'm in I guess.

I'm leaning with the others that she's a tight/short chambered rifle.

Have you tried small base dies?? Some rifles just need to get the brass squashed all the way down to fac. dimensions and fl dies do NOT do this. Are you using win brass?? If you are you'll likely have to ream the primer pocket to even get a primer to seat level-- that alone could bind her up. I hate win 270 win brass (though refined it is fine); my fingers get calluses just thinking of cutting more 270 pockets with a hand uniformer.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

I finally got upset and I figured what better way to tune a fine precision operation than a frickin' grinder. I took about .200" off the shellbase. Then I had to play up and down a little bit, got a few lube dents in the shoulders from learning where it liked the lube and where it didn't. I have currently sized, trimmed, chamf'd and deburred over 150 and every single one finally fits in the chamber. So I am assuming as so many had suggested, the chamber is a short/tight chamber. Now I have to try and seat 150gr horn sst's in them, another challenge for another day.

I could not have done this without you all. Thank you very much, and you will hear from me whenever I have my next dilemma.

Seth
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
I finally got upset and I figured what better way to tune a fine precision operation than a frickin' grinder. I took about .200" off the shellbase. Then I had to play up and down a little bit, got a few lube dents in the shoulders from learning where it liked the lube and where it didn't. I have currently sized, trimmed, chamf'd and deburred over 150 and every single one finally fits in the chamber. So I am assuming as so many had suggested, the chamber is a short/tight chamber. Now I have to try and seat 150gr horn sst's in them, another challenge for another day.

I could not have done this without you all. Thank you very much, and you will hear from me whenever I have my next dilemma.

Seth
confidence booster when you win ain't it
Congrats, & thanks for the heads follow up.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Having read the thread I note that you are primarily trying to use once-fired brass from this rifle back in this same rifle. If so, why not try just neck sizing it and leave the shoulder alone? A fairly inexpensive option is a Lee Collet Die which is very easy to set up and use. I've even taken random brass that would fit in my rifle (i.e. did not need to have the shoulder bumped), neck sized it, and used it with no problems.

Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 270 Winchester

By doing this you'd avoid all of your shoulder problems, work the brass far less, and keep your hair. I do this with my own 270 and it shoots exceptionally well. You can often get several reloads out of the brass before worrying about the shoulder.

I usually buy the whole 3 die set from Lee as it's so inexpensive rather than just the Collet die, but obviously it's your preference.