Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Uneven primer seating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Uneven primer seating

I'm getting back to reloading after a number of years off(like 20+!). Things are going well and I'm very much enjoying myself. However I'm a little frustrated with primer seating. I'm using an RCBS press with the attached priming unit that seats the primer on the upstroke. This is a "feel" technique that I don't really like using- being rather new(again) to reloading. Also I'm noticing that the primers are uneven in the pocket, even when I spin the case 180 and seat again. Thoughts? Maybe a Ram Prime Unit or a Hand Primer? Thanks-
Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Uneven primer seating

3 words-Lee Auto Prime. I use that and it works to the T. Others might say the RCBS Hand primer which is the same concept as the Lee primer. I have never used the on press primer function before. Thats just my 2 cents. Jake

A 20 inch barrel on a 338 lapua is more of a flame thrower. -Longshot38
Old 04-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

First things first. I would make sure all of the primer pockets are clean. I have seen this issue when the primer pockets are not cleaned and the primer cannot seat evenly because of the built up gunk in there. Second I would make sure that all of the primer pockets are uniformed. I always set the primed casings on a flat surface after I am done priming to make sure that there are no primers that are protruding farther than others. If these two things are taken care of it shouldnt matter if you use the rcbs press to seat primers or a hand primer. I use the rcbs press to seat my primers and don't have any problems with this. If you make sure that everything is correct and you still have primer seating problems then you can try a hand primer and see if it makes any difference at all.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks guys-I appreciate your replies!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

you can buy a pocket uniformer, such as Lyman..that has a couple cutting edges on it . Its made to cut/uniform the base of the pocket, not the circumference of the pocket, and is made to stop at the correct pocket depth so you dont have to guess. Great tool imho.