Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Turret Press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 09:46 AM

Turret Press

Looking to move into a turret press. HArrells or Redding. The redding is a bit cheaper and I'm not so sure the Harrells makes any better ammo than the Redding??

Any opinions....Advice...Comments?

I'd like to get my dies set up and leave them that way, maybe get a few different turrets etc. Then I'll put the RCBS Rockchucker up for sale? Or just keep it??

Joe

Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Turret Press

Don't even give it a second thought, go with Lynwood Harrell's press. That man does nothing but the best work. On top of that he's a heck of a fine man to deal with. Anybody that has one of his powder measures will tell you how much they like his products. I know I do!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

My main objection to turret presses, except for pistols, is that with that type press, one stroke decaps the brass and the next re-primes. Not very conducive to accuracy, not cleaning the primer pockets. You have one of the best presses made. Not a lot of work, unscrewing one die and screwing in another.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Well for me screwining and un-screwing the dies is not the issue. It's keeping the dies set up and leaving them alone that I want. I have seen run-out change after changing a die over. I'm thinking thats the logic?

Also...I'd like to have one to bring to the range...Wait, I just answered y own question [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

barreledaction,
be careful not to confuse the turret press with the progressive press. The turret can be used (to some extent) as a progressive, but you don't have to do it that way... on some anyway. The neat thing about a turret press is that you don't have to unscrew dies all the time, just swap to the head for the caliber, and youre done.
take loading a 7mm rem mag for instance...
Ill batch load all of the steps up untill ive got primed brass. Then a case goes into the shell holder. One stroke bumps the shoulder back, turn turret, check headspace with redding instant indicator, turn, neck size (those two happen while the powder scale is stabalizing.... or being trickled depending on batch size) turn, drop powder, turn, seat bullet, turn, check bullet depth with redding instant indicator, and then place in box, or throw it on the neco for the first few rounds and make sure everything is looking good. If you wanted to, you could substitute a belt collet for one of the redding instant indicators.or a crimper... or expander for lead bullets.... or a power case trimmer.... the options just go on and on...

it sounds like a long process, but if you are loading a bunch of ammo, and you want to weigh charges (or have an automatic powder despensor) it flies compared to batch loading.
oh, back on topic... I have never used the Harrells, but their powder measures are superb!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

You need to change your name to:

Paladin

have gun, will travel

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...amp;type=store

Can you build one of these things for your rockchucker and then use some C clamps? Then you can just shoot your way all around the USA.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:33 PM

I looked at that. The thing I like about the Harrells is it's smaller from what I understand?

An excuse to buy more toys?? could be.

Joe