Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Turning 30 06 Brass In To 270 Win Can It Be Done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Turning 30 06 Brass In To 270 Win Can It Be Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I havent done this but I neck down 280 Rem cases to a 243 neck in one step without any issues.
the reason you expand the neck before down sizing it is to create a new headspace and shoulder position. I knew already that the .270 and the 30-06 had a different headspace number to prevent somebody from shooting a 30 caliber round thru a 277 barrel. I'd guess it's more than the fall of a firing pin.
gary
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
the reason you expand the neck before down sizing it is to create a new headspace and shoulder position. I knew already that the .270 and the 30-06 had a different headspace number to prevent somebody from shooting a 30 caliber round thru a 277 barrel. I'd guess it's more than the fall of a firing pin.
gary
The headspace length is exactly the same on a 30-06 and a 270.

I think the 30-06 cartridge is going to stop chambering into a 270 chamber long before the headspace length comes into play.

Even if there was a difference in headspace, such as with a 280, a 30-06 neck is big enough to create a false shoulder without being expanded.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
The headspace length is exactly the same on a 30-06 and a 270.

I think the 30-06 cartridge is going to stop chambering into a 270 chamber long before the headspace length comes into play.

Even if there was a difference in headspace, such as with a 280, a 30-06 neck is big enough to create a false shoulder without being expanded.
yes they have the same shoulder deminsion, and if you pull the SAMMI drawings up they show the same basic gauge line deminsion. But they also use a .375" gauge line on both cases. OK that'll work, but also will put the bushing very close to the radius at the neck & shoulder (.10" radius). On the otherhand the .270 has a .150" radius at the same place. But you could use the larger bushing on the 270 and xcreate a gauge line number for your own use.

Now what you have not said is how does one plan on getting by with a neck that starts out .039" too short, plus manage to add .043" to the neck and shoulder without expanding the necks out? If you know a way then there's going to be a lot of unhappy folks in the forming die business
gary
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
yes they have the same shoulder deminsion, and if you pull the SAMMI drawings up they show the same basic gauge line deminsion. But they also use a .375" gauge line on both cases. OK that'll work, but also will put the bushing very close to the radius at the neck & shoulder (.10" radius). On the otherhand the .270 has a .150" radius at the same place. But you could use the larger bushing on the 270 and xcreate a gauge line number for your own use.

Now what you have not said is how does one plan on getting by with a neck that starts out .039" too short, plus manage to add .043" to the neck and shoulder without expanding the necks out? If you know a way then there's going to be a lot of unhappy folks in the forming die business
gary
You don't have to do anything to the shoulder, it comes out correct. As I said in my first post, where you were talking about trimming, the formed case will be short. It will be short on neck length only.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

schwabdog, find someone who will give you a fired .30-06 case and run it into your .270 die to see for yourself. You will find a perfectly functional .270 case comes out but it will probably be a little bit short; that won't make your gun blow up nor will your bullets hit the ground before they get to 100 yards. And you'll have the cases you need.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
actually I was wrong, as I was simply crunching numbers in the top of my head. You cannot make a 270 case out of a 30-06 case. The 270 is about .046" longer than the 30-06 case. Also there is a difference in the headspace numbers even if they used the same case length. On the otherhand you could use a .280 Remington case to get it done. (2.540" verses 2.494")
gary
Tricky, the reformed '06 brass shoots just fine in a 270; half of my 270 brass in really '06 brass. The neck length will come up somewhat short, but it'll get there after a few firings. Yes, there will be a bit of a secondary shoulder when you neck them down if your dies are set to your rifle and will just help with closer headspace on the fireforming shot. Really no different than setting your belted mag dies to your chamber and firing your brass in the rifle before you get serious with that brass.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Tricky, the reformed '06 brass shoots just fine in a 270; half of my 270 brass in really '06 brass. The neck length will come up somewhat short, but it'll get there after a few firings. Yes, there will be a bit of a secondary shoulder when you neck them down if your dies are set to your rifle and will just help with closer headspace on the fireforming shot. Really no different than setting your belted mag dies to your chamber and firing your brass in the rifle before you get serious with that brass.
there's no doubt you can form the basic .270 Winchester out of 30-06 brass. I don't think anybody's saying you can't. But you end up with a case neck that's about .040" short. That'll work just fine as the .270 neck is pretty long anyway. But here's my one worry. Ever seen a 22 rimfire barrel that's had a ton of 22 short shot thru it? The chamber is ruined from errossion. Now the .270 has a much hotter flame path and of course much higher chamber pressures. I see nothing but a short throat life, but on the otherhand the guy with the .270 isn't going to be shooting a lot of rounds anyway.

So I'll conceed the argument, and call it a day
gary