Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

To turn or not (necks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To turn or not (necks)

How can a bullet jump evenly from the neck of the brass if the expansion of the brass is uneven from a thick and thin side regardless of how it sits in the chamber? The position of the cartridge in the chamber can be horrid in a factory rifle and will no doubt harm accuracy, but that is and additional problem that will only add to an uneven bullet release. It would be hard to distinguish what is causing what so I guess the bottom line is turn the necks to a consistent thickness, and have a good chamber and that will be your best bet for accuracy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
How can a bullet jump evenly from the neck of the brass if the expansion of the brass is uneven from a thick and thin side regardless of how it sits in the chamber? The position of the cartridge in the chamber can be horrid in a factory rifle and will no doubt harm accuracy, but that is and additional problem that will only add to an uneven bullet release. It would be hard to distinguish what is causing what so I guess the bottom line is turn the necks to a consistent thickness, and have a good chamber and that will be your best bet for accuracy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

GG,

They just don't get it. Either they have not shot guns that will shoot bugholes or they are not advanced enough in their reloading knowledge to recognize that perfect bore alignemnt is ALWAYS preferred to non-perfect bore alignment.

Maybe a few years from now they will be able to appreciate the fact that .001 off of neck thickness will do more good than harm when trying to shoot tiny little holes.

Come on, if they are trying to prove a theory with factory grade barrels chambered with a variety of reamers that are all nearer to max SAAMI specs over a properly fitting reamer for the brass used, then this is a futile attempt to exchange some knowledge with then and to help someone who genuinely wants to squeeze all the accuracy one can get out of a shooting stick. After all, this is LONGRANGE HUNTING and the techniques used in the quest for game at LONG RANGE. This is not a website specializing on how to achieve MOA accuracy. Heck, if my guns won't shoot under .25moa, I am at the range finding out why.

Almost forgot, partial full-length resizing ensures centering of the case in the chamber and turning the necks ensures the case neck is centered with the body of the case and center of the bore. If folks cannot grasp this, then they should reserve opinion and giving advice on loading technches for long range hunting.

James
Old 04-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

im not been funny now but i would love for someone to explain how neck turning helps with tension and getting everything loaded for someone with a factory rifle. genuinely want to know, cant get my head around it.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

+1 on what foreign said. A good discussion on the whys and hows (basics) for a SAAMI chamber (i.e., factory) would do me wonders in getting this concept down fully. I cannot figure out if this activity is a nit or a necessary element in getting to where I want to go with my rifle.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Almost forgot, partial full-length resizing ensures centering of the case in the chamber and turning the necks ensures the case neck is centered with the body of the case and center of the bore.

neck turning does NOT center the bullets/necks. To be truley centered, a case must first have zero neck variance. So... the only way to center a case is to sort by case neck variance (using only cases with zero variance), and then neck turn for uniform neck tension. If a case neck has 2.5 thou variance, then it has a thick side and a thin side and the bullet/neck has to sit closer to the thin side (thus offset from the bore). All the neck turning in the world will not change the fact that the bullet/neck is offset if you start with a case that is offset
Old 04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Neck turning for a factory chamber will be most beneficial if you are using a bushing type die, a FL die without the expander, a FL die that has had the neck honed to a certain dimension or a custom made die without an expander. What all those have in common is that the dies size the outside of the neck to a specific circular diameter and any variances in neck thickness are pushed to the inside of the neck. If you neck turn to a consistant neck thickness then there are no variances to push to the inside.

If you use a Lee Collet or a regular die with an expander then neck turning for a factory chamber will not be a "nit".

If you have a custom tight necked chamber then neck turning becomes necessary. Unless you just happen to have brass with the perfect neck thickness to give you the bullet grip you want.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

so whats the advantage of taking out the expander. i would think if i did this and neck turned that the amount of tension i would have would be heaps.
if i dont neck turn and leave the neck expander in then wont i have all the imperfections on the outside and il have even neck tension,can u explain this for me woods. obviously im a kinesthetic learner.