Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tuning a Load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Tuning a Load?

Thanks to all, very informative.

My reason, and I should have been a little more clear is that I am going to help someone with a new rifle.

Since we do not live near each other I would like to work it all out in as few sessions as possible.

We will meet at a farmers barn where we can set up a reloading bench and shoot out to 300 yards.

What I envision is shooting a few rounds of his first choice components and working up those components till he hits max pressure or shoots consistently small groups.

We will have several bullet choices, powder, and primers.

Mainly I was looking for where to go if Plan A did not work to his satisfaction. In other words if we hover around 1 MOA would you adjust seating depth OR try a different powder? Really I am looking for the first 5 Or 10 things that you would do to find that perfect load. I want to know which direction to go FIRST if Plan A goes kaput!!

Thanks again for your help, you have given me a lot to think about.

edge.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

BH,

Following this thread a bit and just wanted to say thanks for putting so many choices / steps in such a a simple way . Leastwise it seems pretty simple to me after trying to digest so much from so many [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Catshooter.

[ QUOTE ]
By his description, the barrel, rifle, cases, etc are already a fixed quantity.

He asked about "bullet, powder, primers"... that's all.

To have him try all the primers etc, will leave him with a shot out barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, Maybe you need to read again, more slowly this time as you missed everything the first time.

I listed cases, primers and powder as to what I would use to start, particularily not knowing the caliber. In fact I think I went into a little more specific detail than you did, particularily in cases, seating depth and sequence of working a load up.

I never mentioned trying all primers, that is something you imagined. I stated my preference in primers in order again, just like the cases. I listed my preference in powder lines on an unnamed cartridge.

The only variable specifically not addressed was bullets other than to say exactly what you did. He has already said he is going to pick the highest BC bullet for whatever target he is using. I specifically mentioned working the powder load first using whatever technique you wand and then the other variables. I did specifically mention how to go about choosing and working the seating depth which you omitted.

Also he started out saying a gun that would shoot in the zeros and you start talking about a gun out of the box and adjusting triggers. Guess you missed the boat on that one too as a top line gunsmith gun that shoots in the zeros sure does not need a trigger job.

Suggest you go back and read your own comments as you are out in right field on this cheap shot and you "missed the kitty bigtime", Catshooter.

BH
Old 04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Gold Member

Yeah... I guess you're right.

He should start out with a few boxes of all the better primers available, and a few types of brass.

Then he should try all the bullets that are suitable for his needs, and four or five powders.

Then he can mix and match them all until he finds the ultimate load.

Of course, for this chore, he needs to buy a full three die set of Redding BR Competition dies.

And when he is through, he can buy a new barrel, cuz the one he has is all burned out.

A kinda anal compulsive approach to hunting loads.

Then again... with a world class shooter capable of shooting in the "Zeros", and a top of the line rifle, and perfect cases... why is this magical shooter asking questions about what powder, primers, and seating distance... ??

Kinda elementary questions from such a shooter?

LRH member #23
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

BOY, THIS THREAD HAS CERTAINLY DEGRADED!

Unfortunately you have completely missed the point!

NOBODY said that the the shooter IS world class, only that for this exercise assume that SO SOMEBODY doesn't start suggesting shooting form, etc!

The rifle is what it is, I have never heard of somebody going to the range with a lathe and building a rifle from scratch AT THE RANGE.

ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WAS WHAT I ASKED! Nobody asked to be insulted for asking a question, but thanks anyway!

edge.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

I did not set out to degrade you.

I gave reasonable advice for finding a good hunting load.

And I responded to advice that would take you on the ballistic search for the Holly Grail.

Then BH took it down to the gutter.

I doubt that it will get out.

Try to sort out of this what you can.

LRH member #23
Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Catshooter,

lets set the record straight. You took it to the gutter.

You imagined things that were not said or infered and then went on your inane rants about barrel burning and testing all cases, bullets and primers when YOU are the only one who took that there.

I point out one key flay in your stated technique as applies to your issue with barrel burning. Using one grain increments for testing increments will often result in skipping over a node and then you recommend a new barrel because of faulty testing methods ranks right up there for a "Heres your Sign award" and barrel burning for sure.

As for Federal primers being sensitive to pressure, I want to know where my pressure is and isn't and they are consistently produce accurate loads which helps when you want to be able to go past "acceptable hunting accuracy" into the zero realm.

I would recommend we drop this here, but if you must please explain "What is acceptable hunting load accuracy for a gun that shoots in the zeros? This I have to hear.

Edge

Suggest you take no more than two bullets and two powders for that cartridge whatever it is with seating depth set as I described before. Go to the range with loads for each starting loaded up to speed up the process. For example, 300 WSM start with H4350 and MRP, 6mm BR use Varget and RL15. Pretty easy to ID the two common powders for any cartridge to start with. Most cartridges have 2-3 major and most common "go to" powders.

Shoot your loads (ladder or 2-3 shot groups, you pick)and then tweak the powder loads while at the range , then seating depth last. IF you have a chrono and SD/ES is an issue, try different primers.

Contrary to some opinions, primer changes can radically open a group up (up to 1" or more) particularily when going from a regular to a magnum primer and vice versa. they can also take a good working load and really tighten it up that last final bit.

BH