Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tuning a load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: Tuning a load

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
Thank you all for your ideas. They are greatly appreciated! I plan to use this rifle for hunting, and not for Bench shooting, so I doubt I will try jamming the bullet into the lands, but does .010" off of the lands sound like a good starting place and then working back out? Where I am going to be trying this for the first time I am not entirely sure that I want to get any closer than that until I am confident that I am finding the distance to the lands accurately.

Mike, what you said about changing the OAL after finding an accurate load makes sense.

Again, Thank you all for your advice! I was able to go out tonight and start breaking the barrel in, and this weekend I will be able to start working on the fun part
One thing you have to remember your shooting factory rifle some are shooting custom so throating may be different.

As you seen or read Berger had a way to try for a factory chamber you might want to try that to be safe. I'm not shooting factory chamber rifles so I would expect you to use my seating depth.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

I always start working up a load with the bullet seated at the rifling. Then when I find my load I play with seating depth working back of the rifling to tune it, most of my guns often have several sweet spots in seating depth. After that I may play with primers.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

The way i go about a new rilfe is to pick about 5 bullets that will do what i want the gun to do. The bullet is usually the biggest variable in accuracy. I load those 5 bullets with maybe 3 differnt powders in a burn rate that again is good for where i want to end up with. I load 5 rounds of each and go out and shoot those groups. I seat the bullets to the oveal lenght recomended in a manual. If Out of those 15 groups i cant find something that i can live with I pick the two loads that had the best group and then start varying powder charge up and down a grain, try diferent primers and seating depts. Those first 15 groups will usually get a decent group and if it doesnt the gun probably just isnt going to shoot.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
The way i go about a new rilfe is to pick about 5 bullets that will do what i want the gun to do. The bullet is usually the biggest variable in accuracy. I load those 5 bullets with maybe 3 differnt powders in a burn rate that again is good for where i want to end up with. I load 5 rounds of each and go out and shoot those groups. I seat the bullets to the oveal lenght recomended in a manual. If Out of those 15 groups i cant find something that i can live with I pick the two loads that had the best group and then start varying powder charge up and down a grain, try diferent primers and seating depts. Those first 15 groups will usually get a decent group and if it doesnt the gun probably just isnt going to shoot.
So lets see....

5 different bullets
3 different powders
a couple different primers
at least 5 different charge weights with EACH powder/bullet/primer combo.....if you are going to do it right, that is.
AND...AND you are going to mess with seating depths!!!

I see about a hundred groups....BEFORE you start messing with seating depths!!!

I'll save you some time.

First...pick the caliber.

Second pick ONE bullet that will best suit your needs. it will help you if you ask people here about "which bullit"....even though it has been asked a million times.

Third, pick the brains of the people here on this website who shoot your chosen bullet/caliber combo about which powder/primer/ combo that they use.

Forth...forget the manual when it comes to seating depth.....measure your chamber, and if you have one and are going to use it, measure your mag length...and start twenty thou in..or out...or where ever you wish. Load up four or five different charge weights and test.

With every gun I load for I find two things...where max loads are with this perticular rifle, and where the accuracy nodes are. I keep going up till I see PSI signs...only then will you know!!! If that takes several more rounds down the tube, i am good with that.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
First...pick the caliber.

Second pick ONE bullet that will best suit your needs. it will help you if you ask people here about "which bullit"....even though it has been asked a million times.

Third, pick the brains of the people here on this website who shoot your chosen bullet/caliber combo about which powder/primer/ combo that they use.

Forth...forget the manual when it comes to seating depth.....measure your chamber, and if you have one and are going to use it, measure your mag length...and start twenty thou in..or out...or where ever you wish. Load up four or five different charge weights and test.

With every gun I load for I find two things...where max loads are with this perticular rifle, and where the accuracy nodes are. I keep going up till I see PSI signs...only then will you know!!! If that takes several more rounds down the tube, i am good with that.
I think I am going to go with this model, because it is similar to my old way of doing things and makes sense to me.

Caliber - 7mm RM
Bullet - 168 Berger hunting VLD
Will be measuring my chamber tomorrow
Powders - H-1000 and Retumbo

Anyone have any loads that work out of their 7RM with a stock 700 barrel?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
I think I am going to go with this model, because it is similar to my old way of doing things and makes sense to me.

Caliber - 7mm RM
Bullet - 168 Berger hunting VLD
Will be measuring my chamber tomorrow
Powders - H-1000 and Retumbo

Anyone have any loads that work out of their 7RM with a stock 700 barrel?
Caliber...awesome

Bullet...awesome

powder....if it were me, I would go strait to the H1000. I have loaded for many stock rem 7 mags......H1000 has been my go to powders for ALL OF THEM!!

Make sure that the OAL you find for your chamber fits in your mag. With the 7MM REM MAG, that should not be any problem.

Check one of the loading manuals for a starting load and let your gun tell you where to finish. i personoly like to go up in 1/2 grain incruments. I have seen as little as a couple of thenths of a grain compleatly change the group size.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

I will definately start with the H-1000 then. I had to go out and get some this week because this is my first magnum gun, and dad has a 308 norma mag, but only loads 4350 or 4831 (can't remember which) in it. I have seen several posts where people have been shooting the h-1000 ina 7mmRM. Is Retumbo just not very good? I've seen several posts that don't care for it, and some that do, but the h1000 seems to be the powder of choice overall.

Not to worried about the mag at this point. It seems like there will be plenty of room there, but will shoot it single shot to get good accuracy if I have to.