Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Trying to Decide on Reloading press.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Trying to Decide on Reloading press.

I have never actually reloaded and am looking to start. I have a rcbs beam scale, rcbs trickler, and redding die set with micrometer. I will be reloading for 300 win mag, 22-250, 270, and 30-06. I have done alot of research on presses and am set on a Forster Co-ax, Redding Big Boss, or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. As far as I can tell, the Co-ax seems to reload the best with minimal runout issues. My only concern is I have read that some of micrometer dies (300 win mag) don't clear the yoke on the handle and bullet pulling can be a pain. I need some solid information and input from someone who knows reloading. Is the Co-ax really worth the money? Will it reload more acurate ammo than the other presses mentioned? Will I have clearance issues with my 300 win mag micrometer dies? I don't want to regret my most important purchase of a reloading press. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trying to Decide on Reloading press.

The newer co-ax presses come with higher clearance to alleviate this problem. I have an old Bonanza Co-ax and haven't had an issue but I don't load really long rounds either. I truly love my co-ax and just use a kinetic puller to disassemble the few I pull apart.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan25 View Post
I have never actually reloaded and am looking to start. I have a rcbs beam scale, rcbs trickler, and redding die set with micrometer. I will be reloading for 300 win mag, 22-250, 270, and 30-06. I have done alot of research on presses and am set on a Forster Co-ax, Redding Big Boss, or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. As far as I can tell, the Co-ax seems to reload the best with minimal run out issues. My only concern is I have read that some of micrometer dies (300 win mag) don't clear the yoke on the handle and bullet pulling can be a pain. I need some solid information and input from someone who knows reloading. Is the Co-ax really worth the money? Will it reload more accurate ammo than the other presses mentioned? Will I have clearance issues with my 300 win mag micrometer dies? I don't want to regret my most important purchase of a reloading press. Thanks for all of your help.

There are a lot of good presses available and My recommendation would be the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme.

I like the mechanical advantage it has when loading Big cases and It's accuracy.

Run out issues are normally caused by the brass and die setup and prep.

I have been loading for over 50 years and still have my Original Rock Chucker and the newest
model for the really big cartridges and have never had an issue with excessive run out.

I am a little extravagant when it comes to hunting/shooting gear but have never Seen the need to change my reloading press.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Run out issues are normally caused by the brass and die setup and prep.
This is gospel. and one of the reasons I made the change to the Rddding T-7 years ago. Once my dies are set up true and locked in they stay there. No need to remove dies when I want to change calibers. I realize the T-7 was not on your list, but in my opinion well worth the look.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

JE Custom , have you ever used anything but a Rockchucker ? I started on a Rockchucker and loaded on it for years before buying the Co-ax and much prefer the Co-ax press. I have also used an inexpensive lee aluminum press that made good ammunition and a lee classic cast press that is every bit as good as my old Rockchucker press for much less money. I'm also not a fan of outsourcing to China for castings.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

Anyone use the new coax with taller micrometer dies? Anyone elae like the t7 press?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

Jeff,
You think the Redding Big Boss is just as good as the T7 if I am not looking to have a turret? I am on a somewhat limited budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
This is gospel. and one of the reasons I made the change to the Rddding T-7 years ago. Once my dies are set up true and locked in they stay there. No need to remove dies when I want to change calibers. I realize the T-7 was not on your list, but in my opinion well worth the look.

Jeff