Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

True Concentricity Gauge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: True Concentricity Gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Yeah dead horse it is, all we care is runout, but concentricity is more complicated then taking indicator reading from one side and if you get no runout, then brass should be somewhat concentric.

Gary, they made by Universal Punch Corp Universal Punch Corporation concentricity gage
another new brand name you hit me with! I've seen similar looking stuff, but with a hydrolock tail stock for measuring runout on bearing journals. Also use a similar design from Hamblin Gauge that is vertically mounted and has a probe system to relay feed back to the machine it measures parts off of. Reads all diameters in about thirty seconds and two parts later is back on size again (sometimes the next part)
gary
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Yeah dead horse it is, all we care is runout, but concentricity is more complicated then taking indicator reading from one side and if you get no runout, then brass should be somewhat concentric.

Gary, they made by Universal Punch Corp Universal Punch Corporation concentricity gage
I have seen their stuff before! We had a couple of the silver ones at the bottom of the page. Never hit the floor with them, and were kept in the room with the master gauges and stuff. A real bear to calibrate all the steps at one time. I was tasked with getting masters ground to calibrate them. Made them from A2, and ground them before lapping them in to size. A really serious exercise on the use of Supermics! All TIR numbers were in arc seconds! The indicators were from Rhan, and later they went back to the analog versions as they didn't have to wait for the numbers to quit moving around.
gary
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Check this one from the same company and it only cost $2,800.00 just a pocket change for average reloader and it only measures
projectiles, diameters and runouts at two locations. Measuring cycle time from part to part 12 second

here's another one to measure 20 - 30 mm projectiles it measures projectiles, diameters and runouts at two locations. Measuring cycle time from part to part 10 second. Project Cost $4,700.00 complete.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Heres an observation. On my Sinclair style,dial up right. It read .003 off more?Than the Hornady lock and load style,dial behind,with adjuster to front.With this type you cant just check neck,have to have a bullet in,for larger neck size. Would not want to try pictured,just get more frustrated
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

The best concentricity gage I know of is one made by me that cost less than $2 in materials plus a cheap dial indicator.

Two 1/4" threaded rods 7 inches long with a V block at its back end for the case's pressure ring to ride in. Up front was a nylon washer held in the rods with a 3/8 inch hole in it. That washer's aligned such that its center is pretty much in line with .470 and .510 inch diameter case centers as they rest in the V block.

30 caliber rounds (.308 Win, .30-06 and two 30 caliber magnums) would be put in, back end resting in the V block and their shoulder pushed into the washer. That nylon washer could be moved back and forth so it puts the case pressure ring on the V block when the case shoulder's centered against it. Dial indicator plunger would be put about 1/10th inch back from bullet tip.

With the case's pressure ring resting in the V block and pushed forward seating its shoulder in the washer hole, that's how the case fits the chamber when it fires; its shoulder's centered in the chamber shoulder and the back end's pushed sideways against the chamber wall by the extractor. Any out of round caused by an oval- or egg-shaped case body at or near the shoulder doesn't effect the readings; full length sized cases ensure plenty of clearance between case body and chamber at the case shoulder.