Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Trouble with ETips - lack of tension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Trouble with ETips - lack of tension

For the Froggy reference I was refering to this article which is the reloading page associated with "Bugholes from a Bipod" Froggy Part II -- Reloading

Here's a video I did showing that on some of my cases there is absolutely ZERO neck tension. I'm wondering if my sizing die is out of spec? Could the cases be work hardened and spring back out after sizing? Like I said I've never neck turned any of this brass and all of these were just sized last night without an expander ball. There's no way I should be able to hand push a bullet through a neck with no resistance. I've loaded for numerous other rifles and never had this problem. My brother is bringing his .308 up this week and I'm going to play with it as well. I think a bushing die will be ordered shortly!

Measured some of the bullets and you can see that the ETip is right at .307" if not slightly smaller, the other Nosler bullets were all right around .307" while my other main practice load the 110gr. VMax was more like .3075"

Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

And, the diameter inside the neck of one of your sized cases with and/or without using the expander?

relative to the measurements you took with your calipers...
>.306 is bordering on too loose
.305" would be just about right
<.304 is just extra work hardening
Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

They were greater than .306" which is obviously too loose. I'm thinking even the cases that do hold the bullets are probably just barely tight enough. Is there a better way to measure neck inside diameter than using dial calipers? It seems difficult to get perfectly centered in the neck and get a consistent measurement.

I'm going to get a bushing die and put more tension on them. I had wondered if the monolithic nature of the Etip required them to be on the smaller side diameter wise to avoid pressure spikes.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
They were greater than .306" which is obviously too loose. I'm thinking even the cases that do hold the bullets are probably just barely tight enough. Is there a better way to measure neck inside diameter than using dial calipers? It seems difficult to get perfectly centered in the neck and get a consistent measurement.

I'm going to get a bushing die and put more tension on them. I had wondered if the monolithic nature of the Etip required them to be on the smaller side diameter wise to avoid pressure spikes.
Calipers should be adequate. But, you may need to practice your technique to get repeatable readings.

Did you get .306" after using the sizer+expander? Or, just the sizer with no expander?

Your sizer die alone should surely take it down below .306" (unless the necks are extra thin). Then, the expander should expand it back to some reasonable diameter. If the sizer doesn't neck the cases to something less than .306", then you may need new dies. Otherwise, your expander is too large and just needs to be sanded/polished down in a drill chuck.

Otherwise, there's something not right with your brass i.e. too thin, or work hardened.

-- richard
Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

Yep with the .308 expander swaped out and a .284 in it's place they were only down to .306" I'll be picking up a new die and some brass next time I head in to town. Seems like a problem that is fixable.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I use a little powdered graphite inside the neck applied with a Q-tip which helps quite abit and doesn't foul up anything. Powdered moly is even better if you can find it......Rich