Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

trouble chambering resized cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

trouble chambering resized cases

Looking for insight into why I have to really pry the bolt closed on cases I've full length resized. I know some of them have been at their limit for pressure but the primer pockets aren't loose and I've measured them at the head, just with a caliper but I cant see the difference between a 2nd case and one of the 6th time cases that are causing problems. Help I dont want to throw away 100 cases that have no other defects.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: trouble chambering resized cases

Are you pushing the shoulder back on the cases as you resize them?

If you aren't resizing enough (not pushing the shoulder back), you will actually be pushing the shoulder forward as you size the body of the cartridge (this makes the case longer).

Measure a fired brass from base to a point on the shoulder and then measure a resized brass to see if you resizing them enough.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

just a thought... make sure your die is set so the shell holder is hitting the bottom of the die if your full length sizing. As AJ pointed out, you may be just not pushing the shoulder back far enough. You should have it back a couple thousandths farther back than the original chamber dimension. An old pistol case sometimes works as a rudimentary headspace measuring tool. Put the old fired pistol case over the shoulder and measure the distance from the base of your rifle case to the base of your pistol case. Compare a new brass to a resized one to a piece that was fired in your rifle with some sticky bolt lift. you should be a couple thou shorter than the fired case from your rifle.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Mftr dies are varying tolerances between mftrs. Sometimes setting the die all the way touch the shell holder may push the shoulder back way to far and actually give you a very slight bulge at the edge of the shoulder that is causing the problem with chambering. Plus it will likely give you excess headspace in many cases.

The reason I know that, is that happened to me about 20 years ago and gave me fits until Dave Tooley straightened me out.

You really need to measure unfired brass, fired 1x and fired cases that are hard to chamber. Measure the headspace with either a bump gauge or hornady tool that measures that. All you want is the .001-.002 push back until it will smoothly chamber.

BH
Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I've had a similar problem with my 270 WSM, set all the way down to the shell holder it would not bump the shoulder so I trimmed it down and got the die down and got the shoulder bumped, things work perfect now. I had to do that after about 3-4 firings, some now have close to 20 on them with no problems.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help. I have my die set to the shellholder so mabey I have to do some trimming on the die. I have also had the squished shoulder problem. Not long ago with a 7-08 and a redding die so I watch out for that one now. I'll post if trimming the die works. Thanks again
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

.custom barrel?, factory barrel?, need more info.

most likely headspace is my best guess.