Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

trouble with case stretch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

trouble with case stretch

I :am having trouble with case stretch with my 25-06 Ruger Mark 11 target rifle I;am loading 45 gr. IMR 4320 hornady 117 gr.sst for coyotes. Both winchester and reminton brass once fired .005 stretch reseize to .006 to.0065 over lenght. My 5 shot group is one, half in, hole at 100 yards. I went to Nosler brass at 52grs.IMR 4350 117gr.sst have no case stretch but back to one in. group. Can any one help me with this load? Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: trouble with case stretch

As you shoot, brass will of course stretch. Some more than others as you are finding out. One kind of off the wall thing you might consider is having your 25-06 re-reamed into an AI version. Most AI's have considerably less brass flow. One of the perks to owning an AI.

Otherwise, just trim to minimum, and keep checking it.

Gary
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

You will find that with some cases, they will streach more than others & the hotter the load the more streach you will get. I always chech the case length after it's fired & always trim to length.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but why don't you resize for no shoulder bump till your brass gets snuggish to close on the bolt then adjust your FL sie die to bump the shoulder back 2thou or whatever it takes to chamber freely??? If you're siezing and pushing the shoulder back before you know how far "to long" is aren't you just oversizing your brass which could give you false readings and worse yet case/head seperation.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but why don't you resize for no shoulder bump till your brass gets snuggish to close on the bolt then adjust your FL sie die to bump the shoulder back 2thou or whatever it takes to chamber freely??? If you're siezing and pushing the shoulder back before you know how far "to long" is aren't you just oversizing your brass which could give you false readings and worse yet case/head seperation.
yes I agree I:am going to have a case/head seperation problem it happen to me before in 30-06 cal. Needed a gun smith to get the bass out of the chamber two days before I was going moose hunting.(never again) I:am going to push the shoulder back instead of trimming. Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
As you shoot, brass will of course stretch. Some more than others as you are finding out. One kind of off the wall thing you might consider is having your 25-06 re-reamed into an AI version. Most AI's have considerably less brass flow. One of the perks to owning an AI.

Otherwise, just trim to minimum, and keep checking it.

Gary
Hello Gary I read about the AI somewhere could of been on this web site, my reload books Hornady ect. no listing where can I find out more info what are you shooting ? grs. of bullets, effective distance on coyote size targets,brass,ect
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

My buddy actually owns (2) 25's, one of them a garden variety Ruger, the other a Marlin xl with a 25-06 AI barrel on it. He went with a Shilen 26" long - 9" Twist.

One of the bullets he likes is the 115gr Berger vld. The other is the Barnes 115gr TSX. The TSX is longer than the Berger, and unlike the Berger it is not considered "Stable" down to (-40 F.) @ 0 ASL, /shudder. The TSX in a 9" twist is "only" considered stable down to about (-10 F.) @ 0 ASL. "Hey, if you are going to say *STABLE* then that has to mean stable under any conceivable condition you may hunt." <-- (my friend John) My friend is a verified hunting Nut-Case! He spec'd out the 9" twist because he did not for-see himself hunting at less than (-10 F.) @ 0 ASL. Now if you go up to say 3000 ASL then you can go down in temp to about (-40 F.) again .... heh...yeah i'm thinking do Whaaa? Then again I know some folks are certified nut-cases just like my friend is! He has hunted the Alaska low lands a couple times, but more often he hunts between 3000-8000 ASL here in the lower 48.

So, for him, the 9" twist made a lot of sense. Did We/He over think it a bit? Perhaps. Then again, he is the one person I have ever Taught Reloading to, specifically because of his attention to detail. He is a very serious minded individual when it comes to anything related to hunting.

Powder wise, he went with H1000. He only uses those 2 heavy bullets, so for him H1000 was a slam dunk. He uses mainly Win LR primers, and standard Rem. I believe, though I know he does have some nickel Rem. brass as well. The H1000 is very temp stable, and with the right bullet/brass/primer combinations truly easy to load with. I do not have his load data of course, but that really don't matter as it is best to work up anyhow. For his AI I know he started 1.5gr. below Hodgdon max for the 117 for the Berger's, not sure where he started for the Barnes, but I would suspect pretty close to the same. Always Use Caution!! Start Low and Work UP!

Gary
P.S. I have seen him take a coyote at about 750ish with one shot at one of his favorite shooting spots.

Last edited by diriel; 01-15-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Additional range info