Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Trick to jumping bullets???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Trick to jumping bullets???

So far loading my 6.5 STW to 3.645 ( mag length) has meant jumping bullets 40 to 70 thousands. Have shot two groups under an inch but all others larger. I am assuming this is because of the jump?? What I find myself wondering is could there be a trick such as more than normal neck tension or maybe a lighter than normal load or just deal with it. Please help my stress! Tim
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Trick to jumping bullets???

If your action is a push feed you can try single loading and eliminate the need to load to mag length and allowing you to seat out to or near the lands and see if your groups don't tighten up. If this isn't possible and you are shooting a controlled round feed action and must feed out of the magazine I'd suggest neck sizing for starters and checking your loaded ammo for concentricity. Allignment between bore and loaded round in the chamber is critical when jumping the bullet.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

70 thousandths is a long jump. Your stuck with one of 2 options. Stick with what you have and deal with concentricity issues or do something like installing a Davidson loading ramp. You'll convert it to a single shot but it should improve accuracy. I'd try some loads seated out a little further before installing it and go from there.
It's either the comfort of having a mag or accuracy.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Weatherby's have thaw same problem a lot of times. He's is a solution I would try first. Buy a box of Barnes ttsx or lrx (long range x bullet) load them to fit your magazine and I bet you see an improvement in group size. Barnes reccomends starting .050 off the lans and in my experience shoot very well seated way off them. I have seen them tale a 3/4" gun And turn it into a 1/4 "gun.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

I don't have a mountain of experience in jumping bullets such as this, but I have loaded a couple of them. What I have found to improve accuracy in them is to change powder. For instance, my Rem 600 chambered in 6mmRem wouldn't shoot better than 2+" with IMR4064 when the bullets were seated to mag length but when I switched to H4895 the groups tightened up to 5/8", which is the same as the 4064 load with the bullets near touching the lands. I don't really understand why the propellent makes a difference but it sure does. I had a 264Win with this same problem but don't recall the details as I don't have the rifle anymore.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim jurczak View Post
I am assuming this is because of the jump??
Use a process of elimination. If you want to know if it's because of a 40-70 thou jump, roll some rounds longer for a much smaller jump and hand chamber each one to test your theory.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like you already have some great advice. pick a couple, and try them. Be sure to let us know how it all turns out!