Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

traaaaacers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: traaaaacers!

thanks rost, btw how far do they burn or be visible in the daytime?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the phosphorus ( sp ) is pretty hot therfore not good for a barrel....

[/ QUOTE ]
We 50 BMG guys burn them all the time. They cause no more barrel wear than any other bullet (at same pressure/ velocity)
I just bought 5,000 50 BMG API for 6 cents each (shipping was another 6 cents each [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

I'd check my page on Tracer Sources In additon to 50 BMG they sell other mil surplus.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

I believe that most tracers ignite about 50 to 75 yards outside of the barrel.

I do not think that the fire material ignites until it gets exposed to fast moving air.

Tracer rounds are constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material. In US and NATO standard ammunition this is ussually a mixture of magnesium perchlorate and strontium salts, which yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light rather than red, using boron or copper salts instead of strontium salts, and may include white phosphorus instead of magnesium as the pyrotechnic material depending upon where and when it was made.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

There are three types of tracers: bright tracer, subdued tracer, and dim tracer. The standard tracer starts burning immediately after exiting the muzzle. A disadvantage of bright tracers is that they give away the shooter's location to the enemy - as an old military proverb puts it, tracers work both ways. Bright tracer can also overwhelm night vision devices, rendering them less useful. Subdued tracer burns at full brightness after a hundred or more yards to avoid giving away the gunner's position. Dim tracer burns very dimly, but is clearly visible through night vision equipment.

Here is where I got the info..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_bullet
Old 02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

marvelous getsmart,this is good info., preciate, jimm