Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

traaaaacers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

traaaaacers!

what about these military tracer bullets? i saw that cabelas has some in 146gr.are they bad for the barrel? thanks ,jimm
Old 01-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: traaaaacers!

They're bad for tire back stops, I know that much(had to put out more than one tire fire because of tracers). Don't know about the barrel though, just watch out for your backstop.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

yes but!, were they fun! jimm
Old 01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

jimm,

You should make sure that the ammo is of recent manufacture and does not contain corrosive primers.
Should be lots of fun for extream long range recreation!

Regards,

JD338
Old 02-01-2005, 07:13 AM

I suspect the phosphorus ( sp ) is pretty hot therfore not good for a barrel....
Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

jd , these are bullets only.i found them in cabelas shooting catalog.evidently they have been pulled from military surplus.ric,how hot are the gases from the powder alone?that brings up another question what lights the farts afire in the first place? jimm
Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

check out www.patsreloading.com for surplus tracer pulled bullets. Might be a better deal. I bought a whole ammo can of 224 ones at Perry one year and it was a decent deal.

I won't shoot them in my good barrels, choose to shoot them in a stock AR barrel. Can't say if they'd harm the barrel or not though. I suspect that with cleaning afterwards it should be fine. The ones I have won't light till they are some ways out of the barrel so I don't think heat is or would be an issue.

FWIW the stock barrel I shoot them in, well right before deer season I rezero'd it with 69 gr HP ammo and it shot a 3/4 inch group at 100 much to my surprise. So that barrel has no harm and was NOT cleaned after any tracer shooting. Though I tend to always shoot some different ammo after the tracers (me thinks it might help blow any crud out tahts not needed or wanted after the tracers)

Jeff