Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Top three things to reduce ES and SD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Re: Top three things to reduce ES and SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
So just how accurate are chronographs?

Sounds like lots of people put 100% faith in the data they spit out. How accurate would they measure one kernel of Varget velocity difference?
I didn't see the last part of your question. There's a good bit more that one kernel of Varget that can affect MV. In fact, the entire process from case, powder, primer and preparation come into play. I guess if you're saying theorhetically everything else is equal would it measure the difference of one kernel of Varget, I'd guess probably not. .1 grain, yes, but 1 kernel (approx .02 grains), probably not.

When you're able to get all else 100% equal, let me know and I'll back you financially to produce match ammo. It must be 100% uniformity.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

1. Seating depth
2. _____________
3. _____________

Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM

3" Shoot-N-C target

300 Yds, Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, Manassas, VA

Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

The above groups and numbers are interesting, but I'm a firm believer that at least 15 shots per test is needed to get meaningful numbers. When the ES is not about 3 times the SD, I suspect the numbers are not too meaningful.

Doug's numbers are the best ones in my opinion.

As far as what 1 kernel of Varget (or any powder for that matter), us humans cause more velocity spread due to our inconsistancies of holding the rifle than that kernel's presence or absense will make. Clamp a barreled action with a .22 Hornet chamber and bore, shoot 20 rounds with it through a chronograph, then put the barreled action back in the stock and shoot it the same hand held against your shoulder. Several folks I've talked with about this say the clamped version gets 1/4 to 1/3 smaller numbers; sometimes as much as 1/2 and average muzzle velocity is higher.