Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tool to close primer pockets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tool to close primer pockets

Did a search awhile back and found an article by a 300 Win Mag 1k shooter that made up a die that resizes the belt.

I have about 16 pounds of 270 AM brass that I keep around to remind me to do something about it some day.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Did a search awhile back and found an article by a 300 Win Mag 1k shooter that made up a die that resizes the belt.

I have about 16 pounds of 270 AM brass that I keep around to remind me to do something about it some day.
Roy,
If anyone had devised a technique to tighten up loose primer pockets I figured it would be you.

I own and have used the Hart tool. I agree that the steel in the tool is too soft and the functional pieces deform over time. The primer pockets are tightened up for a shot or two. They aren't returned to the same status as new brass. If you have some really expensive brass, or brass with a lot of prep time, and want to get an extra few firings out of them, then the tool will allow that. I wouldn't mess with it for the brass that's relatively cheap to purchase, and doesn't involve a lot of preparation time. If you're just shooting a standard factory cartridge with readily available brass I wouldn't recommend the tool. If you're doing fire-forming and case neck turning with Lapua or RWS brass and want to get a few extra shots out of your brass, it might be worthwhile.

The Hart tool needs to be constructed of higher strength steel so the impacting pieces don't flare out and deform under the forces required to tighten up (pinch down) the primer pockets.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Roy,
If anyone had devised a technique to tighten up loose primer pockets I figured it would be you.

I own and have used the Hart tool. I agree that the steel in the tool is too soft and the functional pieces deform over time. The primer pockets are tightened up for a shot or two. They aren't returned to the same status as new brass. If you have some really expensive brass, or brass with a lot of prep time, and want to get an extra few firings out of them, then the tool will allow that. I wouldn't mess with it for the brass that's relatively cheap to purchase, and doesn't involve a lot of preparation time. If you're just shooting a standard factory cartridge with readily available brass I wouldn't recommend the tool. If you're doing fire-forming and case neck turning with Lapua or RWS brass and want to get a few extra shots out of your brass, it might be worthwhile.

The Hart tool needs to be constructed of higher strength steel so the impacting pieces don't flare out and deform under the forces required to tighten up (pinch down) the primer pockets.
The hart tool seems to be kinda a disposable tool to me. I was at first impressed with it, but as time went out the tool wore out and it became useless. It did save me some brass that was a pain to replace. I still use one to save neck turned cases at times. It does not take as much hammer as most people use.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
The hart tool seems to be kinda a disposable tool to me. I was at first impressed with it, but as time went out the tool wore out and it became useless. It did save me some brass that was a pain to replace. I still use one to save neck turned cases at times. It does not take as much hammer as most people use.
When I used this tool on Lapua and RWS brass, it took quite a forceful hammer blow to compress the brass around the primer pocket. But I think your statement is correct for the softer brands of brass case heads.