Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Tool to close primer pockets

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Blackfoot, Idaho
Posts: 8,204
Re: Tool to close primer pockets

Did a search awhile back and found an article by a 300 Win Mag 1k shooter that made up a die that resizes the belt.

I have about 16 pounds of 270 AM brass that I keep around to remind me to do something about it some day.
__________________
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,512
Re: Tool to close primer pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Did a search awhile back and found an article by a 300 Win Mag 1k shooter that made up a die that resizes the belt.

I have about 16 pounds of 270 AM brass that I keep around to remind me to do something about it some day.
Roy,
If anyone had devised a technique to tighten up loose primer pockets I figured it would be you.

I own and have used the Hart tool. I agree that the steel in the tool is too soft and the functional pieces deform over time. The primer pockets are tightened up for a shot or two. They aren't returned to the same status as new brass. If you have some really expensive brass, or brass with a lot of prep time, and want to get an extra few firings out of them, then the tool will allow that. I wouldn't mess with it for the brass that's relatively cheap to purchase, and doesn't involve a lot of preparation time. If you're just shooting a standard factory cartridge with readily available brass I wouldn't recommend the tool. If you're doing fire-forming and case neck turning with Lapua or RWS brass and want to get a few extra shots out of your brass, it might be worthwhile.

The Hart tool needs to be constructed of higher strength steel so the impacting pieces don't flare out and deform under the forces required to tighten up (pinch down) the primer pockets.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MS
Posts: 1,652
Re: Tool to close primer pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Roy,
If anyone had devised a technique to tighten up loose primer pockets I figured it would be you.

I own and have used the Hart tool. I agree that the steel in the tool is too soft and the functional pieces deform over time. The primer pockets are tightened up for a shot or two. They aren't returned to the same status as new brass. If you have some really expensive brass, or brass with a lot of prep time, and want to get an extra few firings out of them, then the tool will allow that. I wouldn't mess with it for the brass that's relatively cheap to purchase, and doesn't involve a lot of preparation time. If you're just shooting a standard factory cartridge with readily available brass I wouldn't recommend the tool. If you're doing fire-forming and case neck turning with Lapua or RWS brass and want to get a few extra shots out of your brass, it might be worthwhile.

The Hart tool needs to be constructed of higher strength steel so the impacting pieces don't flare out and deform under the forces required to tighten up (pinch down) the primer pockets.
The hart tool seems to be kinda a disposable tool to me. I was at first impressed with it, but as time went out the tool wore out and it became useless. It did save me some brass that was a pain to replace. I still use one to save neck turned cases at times. It does not take as much hammer as most people use.
__________________
I admit that I know just enough to be dangerous.....but dangerous at ever extending distances.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,512
Re: Tool to close primer pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
The hart tool seems to be kinda a disposable tool to me. I was at first impressed with it, but as time went out the tool wore out and it became useless. It did save me some brass that was a pain to replace. I still use one to save neck turned cases at times. It does not take as much hammer as most people use.
When I used this tool on Lapua and RWS brass, it took quite a forceful hammer blow to compress the brass around the primer pocket. But I think your statement is correct for the softer brands of brass case heads.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Tool to close primer pockets
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Primer pockets? kc Reloading 2 11-20-2012 11:59 PM
Tight Primer Pockets Nitroman Reloading 6 07-10-2012 06:38 AM
any way to tighten primer pockets ammo burner Reloading 12 02-16-2009 08:22 PM
primer pockets j_22250 Reloading 9 02-14-2008 07:58 AM
257 SYW primer pockets nvwolfer Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 11-13-2007 07:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC