Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Tool for bullet run-out & neck thickness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

Tool for bullet run-out & neck thickness?

I'm trying to find one tool that will measure seated bullet run-out and also measure the variances in neck thickness??

From what I've found there's a foster and RCBS tool that does both. The V-Blocks on the RCBS tool look cheesey to me MidwayUSA - RCBS Case Master Concentricity Gaging Tool

I like the Sinclair tool w/ the ball bearings but it doesn't measure differences in neck thickness. Concentricity Gauges - Sinclair Concentricity Gage with dial indicator

The Foster tool looks like it would do the trick but I haven't heard of any body using it? Concentricity Gauges - Forster Co-Ax Case and Cartridge Inspector

Is there a precision tool that will measure bullet run-out and case neck uniformity with repeatable measurements?

Stalker

Unread 07-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tool for bullet run-out & neck thickness?

The NECO tool may do a good job of both, but it's expensive. It may be cheaper, easier and produce better results to use the Sinclair run-out gauge and an inexpensive ball micrometer.
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Bronze Member

That might be an option. Where can I find the NECO tool?

Ideally I'd like to check neck variations w/ a dial indicator while turning the case. I'd think this would give more info than just a mic.

Also which is considered more important to group size, Bullet run-out or neck variations?

Thanks

Stalker

Last edited by SQ Stalker; 07-28-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

I have a friend here in South Africa who makes one. Works great. I find it peculiar that it's not more widely offered.
Unread 07-28-2009, 04:54 AM

Redding makes a neck wall thickness tool with a dial indicator on it. Sinclair sells those.

D. Holland also makes a Concentricity Gauge that looks quite nice. Probably up there with the Sinclair.

I have a friend that HAD the RCBS but as was state the design of it leaves a lot to be desired. Replaced with the Sinclair. GTG.
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Stalker View Post
Ideally I'd like to check neck variations w/ a dial indicator while turning the case. I'd think this would give more info than just a mic.
This is not true at all. You will not produce consistent & accurate thickness readings with a dial indicator. Go with a ball mic for this.

IMO, when it's all tried & trued, you'll end up with Sinclair concentricity and thickness variance tools, as they are the best.
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Stalker View Post
I'm trying to find one tool that will measure seated bullet run-out and also measure the variances in neck thickness??

From what I've found there's a foster and RCBS tool that does both. The V-Blocks on the RCBS tool look cheesey to me MidwayUSA - RCBS Case Master Concentricity Gaging Tool

I like the Sinclair tool w/ the ball bearings but it doesn't measure differences in neck thickness. Concentricity Gauges - Sinclair Concentricity Gage with dial indicator

The Foster tool looks like it would do the trick but I haven't heard of any body using it? Concentricity Gauges - Forster Co-Ax Case and Cartridge Inspector

Is there a precision tool that will measure bullet run-out and case neck uniformity with repeatable measurements?

Stalker
These were the two that looked the best to me.
The Neeco one looks good as well.
I have been trying to talk with somebody who uses them.
H&H Concentricity Gauge « AccurateShooter.com Bulletin
kontakt Does not do case wall but looks like a good way to work on straightening loaded or factory ammo.