Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Too much pressure in the 300 RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Too much pressure in the 300 RUM?

The other 'best' way to monitor pressure is with a chrony. If the velocities are within reason, odds are pressures are too. If you are way above (say over 5%), you can bet pressures are toasty.

With regards to primer pocket life, if your pockets get loose in under 4 reloads, your loads are very toasty. That is where I was running my RUM. Dropped loads a bunch and now am on my 7th reload with no issue. Primers looked the same after firing so don't really pay much attention to that anymore.

I also neck size so bolt lift will get harder all on its own. Again not that accurate of an indicator unless you need to hammer it open, then...

I shoot in BC so know all about the cold weather. Nice thing you are using Retumbo. It should not vary much when temps go up to +30C. Always start low and verify but I have shot the same loads in some very hot weather with little change either in POI or accuracy.

Enjoy...

Jerry
Old 03-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

The main problem with using a chronograph to use as a pressure indicator is as the velocity drops off in an overload the pressure goes up. Where does this leave us? Is the cure to add more powder as the chronograph's readings indicate? It only gets worse as the pressure goes up, the velocity will continue to go down. Have any doubts? Call and talk to your chronographs manufacturer and seek technical assistance. I believe you will be surprised. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

Is there any argument over the ejector marks? I've not seen ejector marks in any 223 case from the AR unless it had significant pressure. IE I don't think there is any question that ejector marks are a sure sign of a warm load?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

What about case head expansion?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

As far as case head expansion goes, everything looks fine. By the way, how would I be able to tell if the case head is expanding too much? I am new to the game of large cartridge reloading, and just recently started refining my techniques for better ammo. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

This method of head expansion has been in use by the shooting public for several decades and was introduced to the shooting public by Ken Waters. His method requires a 0-1" mic (the ability to read the tool) and pen & paper. Using the case head expansion method. A measurement of the sized and loaded ctg is taken before the area of the rim or rimless or belt. You list this reading in your notes, fire the ctg. and again measure as before. If the head expansion is in excess of .0003 you have exceeded the limits of safe pressure. Ken Waters was perhaps the greatest firearms writer of the last half of the 20th century. His book "PET LOADS" has the most prominent spot in my own library. His articles in HandLoader mag were perhaps the best I have ever read on the practical side of re-loading. Yes he had the ability to write in the clearest and most comprehensible manner of any author it has been my experience to have read. I recommend to all his writings!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Oh ok, thanks 3sixbits. I have some sized cases on my reloading bench, and I still have the cases in question to the pressure. I will have to check that out when I get a chance. Thanks!