Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Too much powder? Beginner needs some help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Re: Too much powder? Beginner needs some help!!

Anyone know if the discrepancy between Hogdon's and Barnes would have to do with the type of bullet tested? Hogdon's used a Speer not a Barnes. I thought that since they were the same weight bullet they would take close to the same charge.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

I am loading 111gr. Retumbo in my 30-378 using either Barnes 180TSX or Hornady 180IB both get just over 3400fps in a 26" tube(barrel is really too short for this overbore ctg).
Anything more and bolt starts to get sticky and primer pockets swell.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

The diff's are probably more in the barrels they tested them in. HOdgdon might have actually tested in a barrel with freebore. There are alot of people having custom guns made up nowadays. Some people are having them made without freebore and this TOTALLY changes the volatility of weatherby cartridges. It would be my opinion that Barnes is showing low data trying to protect themselves from one of these types of guns or a situation ike that. It's very important that you not just trust one source of data for your reloads....especially in a bad boy like the 30-378. It is critical that you cross reference as much material as you can.
By the way sometimes powder manufacturers change their minds big time after publishing data. When Retumbo came out they said 84 grains was a max load under a 200 grainer in 300 win mag. A little while later they published data for the 200 accubond at 78 grains.....that is a BIG change of heart there!!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The diff's are probably more in the barrels they tested them in. HOdgdon might have actually tested in a barrel with freebore. There are alot of people having custom guns made up nowadays. Some people are having them made without freebore and this TOTALLY changes the volatility of weatherby cartridges. It would be my opinion that Barnes is showing low data trying to protect themselves from one of these types of guns or a situation ike that. It's very important that you not just trust one source of data for your reloads....especially in a bad boy like the 30-378. It is critical that you cross reference as much material as you can.
By the way sometimes powder manufacturers change their minds big time after publishing data. When Retumbo came out they said 84 grains was a max load under a 200 grainer in 300 win mag. A little while later they published data for the 200 accubond at 78 grains.....that is a BIG change of heart there!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kraky- I'm assuming more freebore equals less pressure than one without much or any freed bore? Sorry for such a newbie question.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

YUP..you got it right. Last fall I did some reloading for a friends guns. He had two custom weatherbies made by the same guy. He wanted to try the 200 accubond. I started halfway between min and max loads with RE25. We started with virgin 300 wby brass. The one gun just loved it and had no signs of pressure. All excited he fed the same recipe and batch of ammo to his other gun and it blew 2 primers and almost froze a bolt. WE came to find out later that the last gun was built without freebore as my friend told the builder he wanted accuracy as a major criteria.
That was a real eyeopener and I told my friend I was all done reloading for him unless he bought a chrono and chrono'd all my loads.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM

James I sent you a PM
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 PM

Kraky- thanks for the information.

And thanks to everyone else on this site for being so helpful.