Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tikka T3 - Excessive Copper Fouling / Accuracy Issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Re: Tikka T3 - Excessive Copper Fouling / Accuracy Issues?

Go to the web & look up Speedy Gonzalez. On his site he will dicuss proper cleaning methods. I have three t-3 lites & have no issues with severe fouling. My 270 wsm loves H4831 SC with 130 bergers, will shoot bug hole groups. It also likes H1000 with 150 bergers, under 1/2 moa. I will pull the bolt out of the gun & slide a pistol rod with a cloth plug in place of the bolt & then drip some sweets bore cleaner down the bore & let set for around 10 minutes. Then clean the hell out of it & all fouling should be gone. Do not leave sweets in the bore very long it could damage it.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

I use sweets 7.62 as well to clean the bore with a dewy cleaning rod and nylon bore brushand never let it sit too long. I may just have to find a better powder bullet combo as others have sugjested.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quaddrager, what C.O.L are you using for the 130gr and 150gr berger bullets in your 270 WSM?

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

I finally got to the range this morning and it proved to be a good day. 59 degrees, with no negligible wind. Before I hit the range I gave the rifle a thorough cleaning in order to get all the previous fowling and copper out. All shots were fired at 100yards sitting with the rifle resting on a sandbag. Orange target dots measure 2. I shot 3rd groups in order to save effort and waited 4-5 mins between strings. I fired a total of 24rds during this range session and I only see carbon fowling in the bore no copper fowling yet.

Disclaimer My measurements were taken with a caliper and I did NOT subtract .277" from each the group. Im not an expert marksman so Im sure there is a little of me in each group.

Current Reload Data:
Bullet Hornady 130 gr SST
Powder IMR 4350
Primer WIN WLRM
COL: 2.824

Factory WIN Ballistic Silver Tip 3.041 (includes cold bore shot)

54 Grains 1.093

54.5 Grains 1.199

55 Grains 0.768 (Best Group)

55.5 Grains 1.336

56 Grains 0.944 (2nd Best Group)

57 Grains 2.022

Decided to play around with the seating depth to see if that made a difference so I loaded three rounds to 2.860 which shot like crap.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

My T3 270 is extremely accurate for a few shots but fouls easily and opens up after about 10 shots. I found that if I use a good copper cleaner in it, it shoots great. I love the rifle now but it was very frustrating at first to keep it shooting well.

Make sure to get all of the copper out, no blue/green patches.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Bronze Member

After how many rounds do you typically clean your bore?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

The Tikka T3 is no Sako. You really think that Sako is going to offer a rifle at a Tikka price that anywhere compares to their rifles??? Wake up, dead man.

Even Chuck Hawks, who is nowhere near the last word in gun gurus, has mentioned that Tikka rifles are poster children for just about every cost cutting measure that a rifle maker can employ. It is OBVIOUS to somebody with machine tooling and gunmaking experience when you examine the rifles.

Why would anybody buy a Tikka T3 when for a few dollars more you could have a domestically produced Winchester Model 70 that really is a good rifle that competes very well against the much more expensive Sako Model 85???