Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tightening up neck size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Tightening up neck size

Hello. I recently asked the question about what everbody thought about crimping the neck to the bullet even though i am shooting a bolt action and not a semi auto or a lever action. I had a few people tell me they thought i needed to tighten up my neck for bullet seating when i ran the brass through the resizing die. When i set a resizing die i keep lowering the die down and watch the ring it leaves around the neck until i get to the bottom of the neck then thats where i lock the die at. How would i set the die or what would i do to tighten the neck up for a tighter bullet seat?...Thanks

baydog
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Tightening up neck size

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog View Post
Hello. I recently asked the question about what everbody thought about crimping the neck to the bullet even though i am shooting a bolt action and not a semi auto or a lever action. I had a few people tell me they thought i needed to tighten up my neck for bullet seating when i ran the brass through the resizing die. When i set a resizing die i keep lowering the die down and watch the ring it leaves around the neck until i get to the bottom of the neck then thats where i lock the die at. How would i set the die or what would i do to tighten the neck up for a tighter bullet seat?...Thanks

baydog
Buy a FL bushing die..and the appropriate bushing sizes per your application..its (FL bushing die) main purpose is to control "neck tension" which is what you are asking about if I read it correctly...however you will run into accuracy issues if your neck tension is too tight or too little...it will depend on what your neck measures with a loaded round..whatever that reads the standard agreed upon school of thought is use a bushing die that measures 2 thou less. For instance my 6br loaded neck OD measures .268..therefore I use a .266 neck bushing in my FL bushing die.

The easy way to tell how much neck tension your current die is making is measure a loaded rounds neck OD and then measure the resized die's neck OD...if its less than 2 thou its most likely too little tension. If 2-2.5 then Id leave it alone If its 3 thou or more you've probably got too much neck tension.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Buy a FL bushing die..and the appropriate bushing sizes per your application..its (FL bushing die) main purpose is to control "neck tension" which is what you are asking about if I read it correctly...however you will run into accuracy issues if your neck tension is too tight or too little...it will depend on what your neck measures with a loaded round..whatever that reads the standard agreed upon school of thought is use a bushing die that measures 2 thou less. For instance my 6br loaded neck OD measures .268..therefore I use a .266 neck bushing in my FL bushing die.

The easy way to tell how much neck tension your current die is making is measure a loaded rounds neck OD and then measure the resized die's neck OD...if its less than 2 thou its most likely too little tension. If 2-2.5 then Id leave it alone If its 3 thou or more you've probably got too much neck tension.
Thanks Hunter for explaining it so good. I Understand what you're saying and how to measure to see if I fall in that 2 thou or less range.
Thanks again

baydog
Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Np..let us know the results...
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

how hard is it to maintain consistent neck tension? isn't there several variables ? brass hardness, neck wall thickness, bullet diameter from bullet to bullet. what are the procedures to maintaining a consistent neck tension?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie man View Post
how hard is it to maintain consistent neck tension? isn't there several variables ? brass hardness, neck wall thickness, bullet diameter from bullet to bullet. what are the procedures to maintaining a consistent neck tension?
okie thats one of the reasons why i asked about crimping... to get a more consistent neck tension which I was hoping for a more consistent pressure build and bullet release
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

If you choose to crimp Lee makes a handy factory crimp die that isnt all that expensive and does a pretty nice job.

If you measure the neck and find you are only slightly over where you want to be you can sometimes get a little better neck tension by polishing the expander ball. Use flitz and a felt pad on a dremel and polish the hell out of it, the reduced friction when you pull the neck down over the ball after sizing will render slightly more neck tension.