Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Tight group, but one flyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Tight group, but one flyer

Hi,
I've been developing a load for my ruger M77 MKII in .308. I know its not known for accuracy, but i've free floated the barrel and have been trying to get a load for 150gr corelokts. I've been using Fed 210 and IMR4895 and I got the best group around 46gr., by best I mean that it would shoot all but 1 shot under 1", today it shot all but 1 shot under .5". I am making good shots, and letting the barrel cool between shots, nevertheless the flyer is sometimes the 2nd or 3rd shot. Part of me thinks the powder model/weight is off, but then why, at 46gr, would it shoot all but one accurately? Whereas other powder charges shoots all shots inaccurately. So maybe its not the powder charge, so could it be the OAL? Could playing around with the OAL possibly solve this flyer problem? Also, i've been just FL resizing the brass, not doing anything fancy, but should I consider playing around with necksizing or removing the expander ball or anything else for the brass? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by fasteddie911; 08-27-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tight group, but one flyer

If you are not culling components it's unlikely you will get different results.

Are you weighing each bullet and checking for uniformity in the ogive? The bearing surface of the bullet will make a difference too.

Take the known fliers and cull that piece of brass and see if that makes a difference. Checking for concentricity may help too.

I never liked 150 grain bullets in 30 cal. The heavier ones always shot better for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the response. I am just wondering how effective culling my components could be since the bullet itself isn't very high-precision and already, without culling, I am getting good groups except for the one flier. So could that one flier be due to components that are so far off from the rest? And whats the likelihood that its always one flier and it has happened in a couple groups? I am just thinking out loud here, but I do plan on taking a closer look at the components. I did try 165gr bullet before and these 150gr corelokts are actually giving me the best groups yet(assuming I can solve the flier problem). Do you think its worthwhile to keep working at this load that is giving me a flier? Or does that flier indicate its still the incorrect load, even though the other bullets are grouping tight? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

I once had a box of one hundred 180 grain Hornady SST bullets in 30 caliber that I was using with a 200 win mag. Results were very erratic so I started poking at things and discovered the SST bullets (touted to be high quality) were all over the map. The extremes went from just over 190 grains to 110 grains (yes 110 grains). That was a lesson for me and I don't take anything at face value when it comes to reloading components.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

If I get the occasional flyer screwing with me I will switch up primers, I'll just load a series of tests with primers being the only difference and I'll usually see a big difference, not always but I've had it happen enough times to think it's worth a try.
I don't mess with Rugers much but I've read several times they are sensitive to action screw torque.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

I've used to shoot a couple of Rugers quite a few years back. When I started to have grouping trouble the first place I went to was the front action screw.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexkid View Post
I've used to shoot a couple of Rugers quite a few years back. When I started to have grouping trouble the first place I went to was the front action screw.
Any suggestions about how to check or fix this? I did change the stock and free floated the barrel along the way. I read that you should tighten the front angled screw down then tighten everything else, but I don't have a torque wrench and just made it as tight as possible. Any suggestions on how you deal with the front action screw?

Thanks for all the tips, I'm gonna take a closer look at the consistency of the components and maybe try a different primer. But do you think its worth my time to play around with this load more(i.e. can the flier be resolved) ? Or do you think I should just try other powders, charges, bullets, etc?