Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

its top shelf stuff. Ive been using there product for over 20 years. NOBODY stands behind there products any better. But I have to agree with the others here a progessive is more for an experience loader. A beginner should start out of a single stage press and as to shotgun loading unless you shoot 300 rounds a week your going to be well served by a mec at a fraction of the price of a progressive dillon shotgun loader.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

IMHO, start with a single stage. You will always need a single stage on your reloading bench anyway. IMHO - Rock Chucker or Forster CoAx (once you have a CoAx, anything else is inferior).

Dillon - Customer service, IF needed, is none better. They set the pace.....period.

I started with a used 550B 7 years ago. Bought a 450 (father to the 550B - non removeable die plate) for $100 5 years ago (upgraded the auto primer feed and auto powder, but kept the solid head press), and, two weeks ago, bought another 550B.

The 450 only loads 223 AI - that is the rifle round I shoot the most.

One 550 is set up for small primer and the other is set up for large primers.

If you can buy one for cost, don't turn it down, but load a couple thousand rounds on a single stage first....there is a learning curve.

...and...don't forget....learning about reloading is never ending.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Dillon makes great equipment - and their guaranty is second to none. Go with their basic, single stage press to begin with. If you like it, marry the girl and ask for a progressive as a wedding gift.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

I just want to add to my above post I know Dillon progressives are very popular with the guys and gals that shoot competitive handgun. If that were my game I am sure I would have a Dillon. When you need "a lot" of brass loaded on a weekly basis you are going to need a serious progressive press.

Now I was out hunting woodchucks today and I don't even have to clean my gun because I didn't see one. No need for a progressive here.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM

I started reloading with a Dillion SDB. After I bolted it to my newly built bench, I was knocking out .45 rounds within 15 minutes. Later on I bought a 550b when I started loading 9mm and .357. Awesome equipment.

I really don't think reloading is so complicated that you have to start on a single-stage press.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Agreed. For metallic cartridge reloading a good single stage to start out. Learn the basics and move up from there. I started out with an old Rockchucker. After using it what seemed like forever I got a Dillon 550B. The progressive is great for cranking out rounds but I still use the old Rockchucker for most of my rifle cartridges. The precision is just better with a single stage.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

I use a Rockchucker for all my metallic reloading but did use a 550B Dillon for my 38-357; 45acp and 44 mag reloading. Once I had a stockpile that will see me THRU the next world war...I really didnt need it.

I still have my single stage MEC loaders down in the room but for shot shetts my fav was a ( then Pacific)...(Noe a Hornady) 366 loader. 600 rounds an hours was nothing to accomplish and I drank coffee and smoked cigarettes ( behind me on another desktop) so I took "breaks" to do them ( Dont smoke anymore)

The higher end higher speed progressives are terrific for their purpose...but for the MOST accurate loading of either....get a good single stage.