Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

Im getting into reloading and want to buy both a brass press and a shot shell press. I have an "in" with a dealer for Dillon's press's (kind of dating a gun shop owners daughter) and he said he would give me the press's at cost. My question is, is the gear any good?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Thoughts on Dillon Equipments

Dillon is one of the best their is. However, starting out, don't buy a progressive press. Buy a single-stage setup first to get into it and learn the basics.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

I own and use a single stage RCBS. My cousin own a Dillon 650 progressive, and has it set up mostly for pistol, but just started doing 5.56. If you are loading for precision, single stage. The 650 is close, but not as consistent as a single stage. Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

excellent equipment
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

I bought a Dillon Square Deal sometime in the mid 1980's and after loading hundreds of round and over 20 years of use somethings broke or did not work as it should. I boxed it up and sent it back to Dillon. A few weeks later I receive what looked like a new press. For loading large qualities of ammo you can not do better than a Dillon Press. For long range shooting it is certainly better to single load, but I know people that shoot across the course(200 -600yards) using an AR-15 in 223 that load them with a Dillon 550 press and they do not feel that the are at a disadvantage.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Learning on a single stage is a good idea. However I use a 550b for everything. I use it as a single stage for my edges etc
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

You would be wading into he deep end of the pool starting out with equipment like that. Unless her father is going to help you out I would pass for now. Start with a MEC Jr. for shotgun and a good single stage for metallic. And if you stick with this girl in a few years you might be ready for the Dillon, maybe. I know two shooters that gave up on Dillion, they have their place but you best know what you are doing and already understand reloading. Just my opinion but I like to keep things real simple.

Of note I have reloaded over 100,000 shot shells on the same MEC Jr. and I have never once got a bad shell. I used to shoot 4 rounds of skeet weekly and then later 6 rounds of trap so a MEC Jr will get the job done, about 3-4 boxes an hour without rushing.

As for metallic, that is another subject entirely. And handgun is entirely different that long range rifle putting them in the same hole. Long range rifle to me is a major challenge and I have good mentors and I am always reading.