Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...

The runout I was speaking of was bullets seated crooked in the neck. Neck thickness variances would be back at the brass prep stage. It sounds like if I were to choose the NECO or Sinclair and I were to discover an occasional cartridge with to much runout I would just have to use those for foulers.
Thanks for the education guys!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

I have the Sinclair.

I have modified it so I can measure relative to the shoulder taper with large cartridges.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...-sinclair-concentricity-gauge-modified-b-1-9-2012.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I am not sure the Hornady Guage was intended to do much with the case neck. It contacts the bullet and only the bullet for proper alignment measurement. The bullet can be moved slightly, generally around .003 to .005 to get to .002 or less.

If you wish to put the guage on the neck that is fine, but it is not designed to do that in my opinion. I have never had a piece of Lapau brass, measured at the neck, be out of whack enough to worry about. However, bullets don't always seat straight with the cheaper dies.

I think we all talking about different things here. Bullet seating and neck alignment vs straight cases. I am only refering to Bullet seating and the alignment of the bullet in the neck of the case. The shallower a bullet is seated the greater the chance of bullet alignment issues. The Hornady guage does a VERY GOOD job at measuring this variance and the dial indicator quality is quite nice. IMO, it works as it should and gives you feedback needed to address any issues with cases or bullet alignment. It works well enough to give me 4 rifles so far all shooting under .3 MOA on factory actions, stocks, and barrels. Looking forward to a custom barrel soon. I want bugholes. : )
My hunting buddy has same as you, my sinclair gauge shows the ammo almost twice as bad, ei .002=.004.I run vlds and when I went to a vld chamferer my ammo is mostly .001 to .002
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

That's the reason I'm leaning on the Sinclair or NECO. I have read several comments stating the same thing. I believe I'm going to give the Sinclair a try. Thanks fellas!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

The Hornady neck-bender is a concentricity gage, and acts to conceal runout rather than showing it.
And with this, you can see ammo that is crooked as hell measure perfectly concentric(and it might be).
But straight ammo, while harder to achieve, is ALSO concentric, so you're better to mind runout.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
I went with the hornady because I wanted the ability to straighten loaded rounds.
My chrono tells me that if i straighten one that is more than .004 runnout my ES is lower on that round. Therefore neck tention is compromised.
What I have learned is that if I have more than .003 runnout stop and identify and fix the problem rather than straighten.
That being said I think there are probably more precise gauges (neco) that I could have bought.
+1

It is nice to be able to straighten the run out on the loads that are within .002 or .003 for better
accuracy. There is no question In my mind that the best groups/accuracy comes with rounds that have no run out (.000 ) and groups deteriorate an run out increases.

I have found the same thing if I straighten rounds over .004 out the SDs suffer.

I have the Hornady also and like the ability to save some rounds. Buy the gage that has the features that you want. they will all help you to load better ammo.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Did you ever look at the, Accuracy One Concentricity Tool. A little spendy but sure looks nice.