Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...

I'm in the market for a concentricity gauge. I am brand new to reloading so it's hard for me to see what makes a particular piece of equipment better than the next. After researching it seems enough of you recommend the NECO that I am thinking of buying it. There are some that allow you to correct a cartridge with to much runout right there on the concentricity gauge but not the NECO. It seems that would be very convenient so if you use a NECO or similar product how do you correct runout? Is the Hornady model junk? Obviously some of you think the NECO is more accurate, I'm already sold on that but just have no experience so I don't know how I would correct runout if I choose to buy the NECO??? Thanks for helping a newbie!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: For those of you that use a NECO concentricity gauge or similar style...

I went with the hornady because I wanted the ability to straighten loaded rounds.
My chrono tells me that if i straighten one that is more than .004 runnout my ES is lower on that round. Therefore neck tention is compromised.
What I have learned is that if I have more than .003 runnout stop and identify and fix the problem rather than straighten.
That being said I think there are probably more precise gauges (neco) that I could have bought.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Hornady as well. I found that if I turn my case while pressing in a bullet the bullet alignment is really good and the use of the concentricity guage is minimal if at all. Insert bullet in neck, start pressing bullet into neck, release pressure, turn 1/4 to 1/3, press bullet in some more, repeat until fully seated. It only takes a little bit more time, but the process had given me better overall results.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

What you really need is a runout gage(V-block type), so that you can work on making straight ammo and know when it actually is.
The difference between concentricity and total indicated runout(TIR) is confusing to most, including makers of gages(The NECO is NOT a concentricity gage).
I prefer Sinclair's gage(also not a concentricity gage):SINCLAIR CONCENTRICITY GAUGE | Sinclair Intl
When you read low runout off the Sinclair, you actually have straight ammo, and that's the best you will ever do.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrice23 View Post
I went with the hornady because I wanted the ability to straighten loaded rounds.
My chrono tells me that if i straighten one that is more than .004 runnout my ES is lower on that round. Therefore neck tention is compromised.
What I have learned is that if I have more than .003 runnout stop and identify and fix the problem rather than straighten.
That being said I think there are probably more precise gauges (neco) that I could have bought.
Again I'm new to reloading so sorry for the dumb questions.
When you say stop and fix the problem, can you give me an example on a likely cause and how you would fix it. I figure everyone is going to experience runout from time to time but without having a gauge like the Hornady I'm not sure how one would go about fixing it. If the Hornady gauge is not very accurate however it would be a waste of time and money.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I have the Hornady as well. I found that if I turn my case while pressing in a bullet the bullet alignment is really good and the use of the concentricity guage is minimal if at all. Insert bullet in neck, start pressing bullet into neck, release pressure, turn 1/4 to 1/3, press bullet in some more, repeat until fully seated. It only takes a little bit more time, but the process had given me better overall results.
The turning method I've read and heard about. Seems logical, thanks for mentioning it!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
What you really need is a runout gage(V-block type), so that you can work on making straight ammo and know when it actually is.
The difference between concentricity and total indicated runout(TIR) is confusing to most, including makers of gages(The NECO is NOT a concentricity gage).
I prefer Sinclair's gage(also not a concentricity gage):SINCLAIR CONCENTRICITY GAUGE | Sinclair Intl
When you read low runout off the Sinclair, you actually have straight ammo, and that's the best you will ever do.
I've done some reading on the search menu and understand what your saying. I believe it might have been you (could be wrong) that mentioned it takes 2 measurement opposite of one another to give true concintricity readings. While that may be true I just want to produce the most accurate ammo I can and do it consistently. I however do not have the brainpower to make my own reloading equipment so I'm stuck choosing from what is commercially available. I have been eyeing the Sinclair model as well so it's nice to hear a good review on it. I'm leaning on it or the NECO simply due to the positive feedback I've heard about them. I however still need to hear someone explain to me how one would fix runout if they are using one of those 2 or similar designed gauges??? Thanks for the feedback guys!!!