Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Are these tumbling? 225 gr Hornady BTHP's in 300 WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are these tumbling? 225 gr Hornady BTHP's in 300 WM

With a 1-10 that is not the issue, if it was speed related it would take more yardage to show up and it usually shows up with dropping a bullet low every once in a while. Make sure sure the bore is in good shape and not whanking the bullet causing thing to go side ways so early.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
You are positive that you were not hitting low and having the bullet ricochet up at the target ? You don't mention the shooting distance, but I would expect a 225 to hit lower than a 150 at short range simply due to the time of flight being longer and it would therefore be dropping more. Whats the difference in MV ? Should be at least 300fps right ? At long range the 225 would retain a lot more energy and would end up going faster than a 150 and thus would actually drop less at the end.
Well I am embarrassed to say it, but this is the group I just shot, with yardstick to indicate how much they were dropping:

Do the holes still seem a bit odd?? It is clear from how much lower they are hitting that these were doing exactly as you thought.

These were at 100 yards w/ some cross wind and were over 76 gr of Retumbo. These gave me sticky extraction so it looks like I need to go no higher than 75 gr and work with seating depth some.

Last edited by cowboyarcher; 05-14-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
I suppose it's possible they were hitting the dirt, but there was only the one dust cloud on the first shot. I suppose I should shoot a group at 25 and 50 just to double check. These were fired at 100 yards.
The only time I had bullets hitting dirt in front of a target was using 77gr bullets in a Rem 22-250. They were so wildly unstable they were hitting the hit 25-50 yds out from the bench. No wonder they won't the paper.