Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Are these tumbling? 225 gr Hornady BTHP's in 300 WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Are these tumbling? 225 gr Hornady BTHP's in 300 WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelinducky View Post
This may sound out there but I had a target look similar. I was shooting a 45-70. I had printed the targets off my printer at home on standard thin copy paper. The cardboard I has stapled to had been shot out pretty good. When the bullet went through the paper it would get some tearing and it looked like it was keyholeing but the paper was thin and it was actually tearing around the bullet hole. I can't tell if you printed your own target or not or the condition of the cardboard backing. I hope this helps you.
It's hard to see in the photos but the bullets were going through the cardboard sideways, there is enough there that in person it's hard to miss. Interesting thought though!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Have you checked the brake for any signs the the bullet is touching it. The last time I saw a bullet going side ways from what should be a stable twist it was caused by severe fouling.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Have you checked the brake for any signs the the bullet is touching it. The last time I saw a bullet going side ways from what should be a stable twist it was caused by severe fouling.
The brake is more of a magna port type design as it was milled into the barrel. But I have not examined it to see if there might be an issue there. . .

Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

It's not so much the brake causing the issue but if the bullet is going horribly sideways early it may show on the brake and indicate another issue other than twist rate. Have you verified twist rate.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

I see what you are getting at. I'll check the brake for any strange signs.

I have verified the twist rate with the cleaning rod method and it is almost exactly 10".

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Have you shot other boat tail bullets out this rifle ? Another poster on here had a terrible time trying to shoot Berger Bullets and later found he could shoot flat base bullets fine. Apparently that points to a throat that is too large in diameter and results in erratic performance with BT bullets. You might try some lighter boat tail bullets like the 185 or 190 Bergers and then compare to similar weight flat base bullets.

At Bullet Samples for Sportsmen Rifles you can buy small qty's of bullets for this type of testing.

Of course flat base bullets are not good for long range shooting and fixing this issue means another barrel, but at least you will know and can decide how to deal with it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

I've got some Hornady BTSP 190's that I was thinking would serve as a good test so that was my next step. If they are erratic I think I might just send it to Sinman and let him do his thing, set it in a B&C and call it a $1000 rifle. I really like what the 300 WM does with heavy bullets so I'm fairly committed to making these 225s shoot.

I'm out of town the next 3 weeks so look for an update sometime in June. . .

Thanks for all the help fellas, God bless you,

Adam