Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

THA thing you did to your ammo to help your precision is ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Re: THA thing you did to your ammo to help your precision is ?

@ farout: are you saying you are annealing your cases many times ? I thought this was a one time deal...

@ dakota1tn: I am considering Norma for my next cases... they are $160 per 100, north of the border

and plz what tool are you using to take your measurement of the ogive ? Hornady Lock-N-Load ?

thank you all for your time

stef.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

As for cleaning the rifle. If it is broken in then clean every 20 to 50 rounds or when it starts to open up. While you are fighting fliers I would clean every 11 rounds. Always shoot a fouling round down a clean barrel. So , clean then one fouler then ten recording rounds then clean again. Once you get a load down just clean when it opens the groups. After a while you will know you can go x number of rounds with that rifle before you need to clean.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Also , I don't lenght trim ever time. Usually every third to fith time will do. You don't have to buy the very best brass but it can help. I shoot plenty of Remington and Winchester brass but its not as consistent as lapua or last near as long.

Bonded bullets often don't shoot well. Try the 115gr bt or the 117 sst bullets or the Sierra 120gr hpbt
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

I know you asked for reloading suggestions only but I' ve got to ask you a couple things on your rifle before I chime in.
Has your action been bedded, how do you torque your screws down onto your stock, barrel floated, and are you satisfied you have a good crown on barrel.

You said your groups really open up when you approach med or upper end velocity is why I asked the rifle questions. That would not sit well with me. If I had a 25-06 that I had to run at 1/2 speed, well you may as well shoot a .243

I will tell you that the best advice I ever got 40 years ago was keep everything consistant ALL THE TIME.

I buy components in larger qty's with same lot numbers, that includes brass, primers, powder and bullets.

Do you know what twist your barrel is - has a lot to do with what weight bullets to use.

Another thing to consider is your shooting form , and trigger pull. Are you comfortable with the parallax on your scope. Last thing I would suggest is, I quit shooting and doing load evaluations at 100 yds many years ago. I finally got it through my thick skull I am not a bench rest shooter. Move out to 200 or 300.

I have a rifle shooting Bergers that will shoot at 200 as good as it will at 100.

From the amount of fliers you are getting I would say it is either miss matched components or something other than your ammo.

Good luck and don't give up.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbeapuce View Post
@ farout: are you saying you are annealing your cases many times ? I thought this was a one time deal...

@ dakota1tn: I am considering Norma for my next cases... they are $160 per 100, north of the border

and plz what tool are you using to take your measurement of the ogive ? Hornady Lock-N-Load ?

thank you all for your time

stef.
I feel the brass makes some diff. but not that much if the gun is a good shooting gun anyway. I use the hornady. I measure all of mine to within .001 either side of the length I want. I can take winchester brass and make most guns shoot .5 or less at 100 yrds. Just finished setting upl 2 243 win. for long distance. Both when finished..... shoots less than .5 @ 100. Every gun I have set up with the exception of 1 shoots less than .5 @ 100. Cleaning is also very important to most guns. This also takes time to find the sweet spot. Once the sweet spot is found most need to be cleaned between 10 and 15 rounds then a fouling shot. have seen some shoot better dirty than clean. Most guns will shoot better with the bullet anywhere from touching the lands to 50 thou. off. the most common seems to be 20 to 35 thou. I like athe Hodgen powders
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

I would compare myself a novice compared to a lot of these other guys (even though I have been hand loading for ten years). What I can tell you is that using the same lot of brass, with similar weight in grains is important, so is making sure that all of your loads are as close to the same in powder measurements as you can get. The biggest difference between loads that I have seen is in using different powders. I leave everything the same and change powders, and them load for different charges of each powder. I am fortunate in that I load for a wide variety of calibers, so I have a good and varied powder supply. I have tried shooting 10 different powders at what is supposed to provide the same velocity and gotten ten different results. Some are definitely better results than others. Be patient and keep working. eventually you will find something that works for your gun. I almost gave up on my 30-06, but I did finally find something that worked very well after about 600 rounds of test firing! Have fun with it! I love my time at the loading bench almost as much as I enjoy my time at the range. Best of luck!

Joe
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM

This is how I start with a new gun. Make sure the barrel is floated!!!! I use flitz and polish the inside barrel for 30 to 40 min. I shoot one shot and clean until like new. Then 2 shots and clean until like new. then 5. Clean again and shoot 2 shoots. I find where the bullet touches the lands and load 2 of each with one grain less than max powder. Hodgdon. (my experience most guns shoot better faster than slower)2 touching lands then 2 @ 10 thou. 2 @ 15 20 25 30 35. If 2 of either touch bullet holes I load 2 more of the same and try them. I clean after every 12 to 14 shots. Also IF the bolt closes tight you nee to adjust your die down until it closes as easy as a factory round or close. I also aneal my brass after 4 fireings. The last 4 I set up.... I finally got a group that would at least touch a dime with 3 shots @ 100 yrds. Went up .5 grains on powder and then 1 grn on powder. The all would touch bullet holes or better for 10 to 12 shots. Then the group would open up. You need sand bags when shooting and shoot @ as small of a spot as you cross hairs will allow!! I measure groups diff. than gun makers or most people. I measure form outside of bullet hole to outside of bullet hole. my half in groups are 1/4 in groups according to gun makers.

Ive been loading for 25 yrs but only started shooting long distance about 4 yrs ago. I still fell I have lots to learn but what I do seems to work!! ALSO REM!! WIND HAS SO MUCH TO DO WITH THE FLIGHT OF YOUR BULLET.