Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Testing loads at 200 vs 100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Testing loads at 200 vs 100

Years ago I was taught,a 1" group at 100yds would be a 2" group at 200yds and a 3"group at 300yds and so on and so on.I have found this not to be true.I've had loads that were sub 1" at a 100yds shoot a very disappointing 3"- 6" group at 200yds,even had one that would miss the whole 24"x24" target at 200yds.There can be many factors that can cause this,human error,stiff trigger,scope,wind,barrel crown,stock bedding,bad bullets,seating adjustment,poor load,bad barrel and just a rifle that will not shoot worth a damn.Depending on where you hunt can be a big factor in how far you want to shoot.If you hunt an area that has a lot of wide open spaces,shots 500yds or more may not be uncommon.Where I usually hunt,the brush is very thick,though there may be areas you can shoot longer distances,it is very important to know exactly where the animal was standing when you shoot.So 300yds is usually about as far as I like to shoot,because sometimes you don't get blood right away,if they don't drop on the spot.Working up a tight shooting load at 200yds makes those shots much easier and covers most of my shots too.A hundred yards is an easy shot now and almost seems like rock throwing distance.The farther you can shoot accurately,the better shot you will become.So,I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time working up a one holer at a 100yds,move on out to 200yds and see how she shoots.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

I personally like to test loads at the distance i plan to shoot them at. This is the only way ive been able to verify how they will behave. Typically if a load will shoot a minute at 1k yards it will shoot a minute everywhere up to that point. Some big long bullets do take a while to settle down, not always, but thats just another reason to test at long range.

However some people have had very good sucess testing their long range loads at 100 yards and i cant say that its not productive if you know what you are looking for.
6.5-284s of the Hoover Clan within AccurateShooter.com
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks to all for the helpful information!

VarmintH8R that is exactly what I'm talking about!

I think with all the information that I have heard I think I will move my initial load testing out to 200, simply because I have the range capabilities and it can't hurt. Another question about a bullet laying down, is it more pronounced with larger diameter bullets, or smaller diameter bullets or is it about the same across the board?? Or is it affected by a bullets length?
Thanks again for the replies

Iden
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iden View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful information!

VarmintH8R that is exactly what I'm talking about!

I think with all the information that I have heard I think I will move my initial load testing out to 200, simply because I have the range capabilities and it can't hurt. Another question about a bullet laying down, is it more pronounced with larger diameter bullets, or smaller diameter bullets or is it about the same across the board?? Or is it affected by a bullets length?
Thanks again for the replies

Iden
I personally think it has to do with long, heavy, bullets for caliber not entering the lands centered, and the tight twist required to stabilize said bullets exaggerating the normal precession that takes place with spinning objects. Im sure if im off the mark someone will correct me.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks to both of u for the replies. The factor of the wind was what had me wanting to shoot at 100. It definitely makes sense that the farther u get the more groups are defined.

Engineer101 what do u mean that you don't consider bullet stabilization a factor? I have just heard word through the grape vine that sometimes a bullet takes farther than 100 yards to stabilize. That could be complete myth, but that is why I am asking?
As mentioned, "stabilization" isn't the correct term for what you're talking about. If a bullet does not stabilize @ 100 yds it will keyhole and it will not stabilize @ 200 yds. There are other terms like eliptical swerve and precession that are more correct. I have often shot better MOA groups at 200 & 300 than 100, but not always.

Like others have also mentioned, I do my load work at both 100 and 200 (actually 212) depending on wind conditions. Groups at 200 yds and farther are better for evaluating a load if the wind is light or calm..

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious If there is a huge benifit to testing loads at 200 yards vs 100. If so could anybody explain! Do some bullets take that long to stablize or am I completely wrong? Thanks for any info.
I develop my loads at 100 then tweek them at 300. I settle when my vertical stringing is inside .5" at 300. I've never found a load that wouldn't shoot good at 1000 when doing this.