Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

test results help: UPDATE 300 yard test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: test results help: UPDATE with seating depth

Thanks for the input...thinking about it, with how good the 50s were, I might just do those as a re-test, and some 70s to see how they fly, the 90s were OK, and I can always retest, if things don't pan out with the other 2.

I'll see how wind is on Friday before deciding on range...also, there is a target stand at 300, but not at 200, I'd have to carry one out, so I may just be "lazy" and shoot at 300, but we'll see
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Like Brent my press is not far from my bench (about 75 yds to the house)...I usually do a few at a time....But if I drive to the range I am pretty sure of what
will happen because of all the testing at home and then I have a few more of
what I am going to try....

By all means shoot the 300 yards if the wind is down....If the wind is mild but consistent you can still get a good picture of the grouping and be able to pratice your wind doping at the same time....

Oh by the way when your target read Valkyrie...I thought man this guy emn83 must be loaded...The highend "Valkyrie" custom rifles from England gotta be expensive....I searched your posts for Valkyrie and found your "pet" name for your Savage....Sounds like you put together a nice one...One of my hobbies is playing with these Savage/Stevens 2...At last count I have 6 of them....
The wear Shilen, Douglas, E.R. Shaw and one even has a factory bbl....The barrels swap places from time to time...221 fireball, 243, several 260s, several 25-06s, 6.5-06, several 30-06s, 7mm Mag, and their might be more..

Man I just plain love to shoot!

Keep us posted on Fridays results,
Randy
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

I have a stand for setting up my press at the range, but I get frowned at when I bring it...otherwise I'd be bringing it every time....it's a 4 mile drive to the range, so not a huge deal, especially on weekends, to shoot, go home, analyse results and load up and go again.

You guys have been great giving me advice. Hopefully after testing the .070 against the .050, Ill have this load nailed down. That first group with 0.050 was a personal best, so I have some real high hopes

Randy, I wish I had the money for a High end brand name Valkyrie. as it is, my valkyre is awesome, took over a year to get where where she is, I had a great smith to do the work on it
Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

We all live in such different worlds. Pretty cool. We don't have a range at all here that is useable. My range is the mountain usually. We have family farm as well that is about 25 miles away and works fine for testing. For a full on hunting load or LR testing I go to the mountain where I hunt or at least to an elevation that is close. Usually 1 to 1.5 hr drive. In either case I have to take it all with me for Testing. If am just shooting for practive and have a dialed in load, I just load at home and go.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM

What i have always been told by other respected handloaders is 3 shot groups tell you about the gun, and 5 shot groups tell you about the shooter!?!?.. looks like you are on the right track though!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
We all live in such different worlds. Pretty cool. We don't have a range at all here that is useable. My range is the mountain usually. We have family farm as well that is about 25 miles away and works fine for testing. For a full on hunting load or LR testing I go to the mountain where I hunt or at least to an elevation that is close. Usually 1 to 1.5 hr drive. In either case I have to take it all with me for Testing. If am just shooting for practive and have a dialed in load, I just load at home and go.
I'm pretty fortunate to live in a part of the state with enough shooters, and open land for the conservation club to get a range set up...looks like this summer, they will be putting in the backstop for a 600 yard line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Bandit View Post
What i have always been told by other respected handloaders is 3 shot groups tell you about the gun, and 5 shot groups tell you about the shooter!?!?.. looks like you are on the right track though!!
yeah, I was thinking doing two 3-shot groups again, just to verify....I shoot back and forth one load then the other, on targets that are either side by side, or one below the other, then I retrieve those targets and shoot another round robin group, reversing the order of shots from before
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Shooting 5 shot groups with my lighter barrels often shows open groups, where 5 shot groups with my two heaviest (varmint contour) always stay pretty much OK...I try to keep a minute or so between shots....My latest project is a 6.5-06 with a magnum contour barrel and it has been pretty cold most of the winter so I really haven't seen 5 shoot groups open that much, but I still am shooting mostly 3 shot groups with it...When I find my best load,
hopefully in a warmer weather, then we will see how many in a row she can really handle.....

A lot of times there will be two or three more rifles leaning against the tree behind me..They take turns so my barrels don't get too warm...It is that first shot that really counts for me anyway...The one with the cold fouled barrel....

Brent, what part of the world are you from? I make a trip out west hunting almost every year...My plans are to retire somewhere out there in the next couple of years....I have made several trips to SD since 1980 and several trips to MT (two last year), hunted antelope mule deer and elk in WY in quite a few places over the last 10 years or so...Really love that country

Later,
randy