Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

temp stability of powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

temp stability of powder

I will probably end up using Retumbo powder, but have been playing with a couple other powders and am wondering how temp stable they are?
RE22
RE25
IMR 7828SSC
I am reloading for my 300RUM and will be using probably 210gr bergers, I want to stay at or above 200gr, but for what I hunt I think the 240gr SMK's are a tad too heavy.
Chuck
Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: temp stability of powder

I always try the Hodgdon Extreme powders first before trying any other. This is so I will not have to worry about temperature changes and having to adjust loads.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Powders I have already ruled out are Ramshot Magnum, Hogdon US869 and Magpro.
I have Retumbo, H1000, RE22, RE25 and 7828SSC.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Chuck,
I think all three are affected by cold/heat. Of those three, I have the most experience with RL22. I looked through my reloading/shooting journal and the first time I documented its use is Sept. 3rd of 2000. It was my my main powder for the 7mmRM Sendero that I had.
While it is temp sensitive I still use it quiet a bit. I did a little experiment last year while living in northern Virginia last winter. After noting the difference of my velocity from summer to winter I adjusted my drop chart as necessary and it worked fine for me. Not sure I'll have that much of difference this year in Ga. JohnnyK.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of this temperature stability stuff is marketing hype. Have tested many loads with the Ohler in 45 degree and then at 85 degree air and you cannot just assume based on what a writer or the powder can states you must shoot them to see the difference. Anyone who tells you different is drinking the "cool aid" so to speak.

Additionally when testing do NOT let the round sit in the chamber when it gets warm because the heat is transferred to the case resulting in erratic pressures which means different velocities. First thing to do is work on your “bag manners” to ensure that you do not have to screw around for a minute or two getting the rifle back into the proper position.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
A lot of this temperature stability stuff is marketing hype. Have tested many loads with the Ohler in 45 degree and then at 85 degree air and you cannot just assume based on what a writer or the powder can states you must shoot them to see the difference. Anyone who tells you different is drinking the "cool aid" so to speak.

Additionally when testing do NOT let the round sit in the chamber when it gets warm because the heat is transferred to the case resulting in erratic pressures which means different velocities. First thing to do is work on your “bag manners” to ensure that you do not have to screw around for a minute or two getting the rifle back into the proper position.

I totaly disagree with your "HYPE" statement concerning the Extreme powder line. I have tested H322, H4831, Varget, H1000 and Retumbo in the extreme line plus many other powder brands and have found the extreme line to be the most stable in temperature variations. These test are done with loaded cartridges having been placed in a fridge and freezer overnight then compared with cartridges that were not side by side. The extreme line has always been the best performer in these tests with the VV N500 series a distant second.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
I totaly disagree with your "HYPE" statement concerning the Extreme powder line. I have tested H322, H4831, Varget, H1000 and Retumbo in the extreme line plus many other powder brands and have found the extreme line to be the most stable in temperature variations. These test are done with loaded cartridges having been placed in a fridge and freezer overnight then compared with cartridges that were not side by side. The extreme line has always been the best performer in these tests with the VV N500 series a distant second.
I tried the ice chest thing as well and found that the tests are not valid. Brass heats up Way Too Fast. Need to test in ambient conditions to get valid results but if it makes you feel better then fine.

Try it and you will see. I have done the testing on my competition guns and while the velocity variations are not as large as WMR (yes WMR is old but I have a lot of it and it performs in the mid size magnum cases) or RL 22 for example it is still present.

Example is H4350 for my 6.5x284 ---- with 49.3 grains and a 142 SMK (sorted by actual bearing surface with the Buhay gauge to eliminate any variable) the difference is avg of 2895 at 45 and at 85 2965. At 1K that is ugly unless you compensate for it which I do. These loads have a spread of less than 15 fps at 45 and 10 fps at 85 which is acceptable. Have done this on my sporters to a lesser degree as the shorter ranges the difference is not enough to worry about.

Specifically what results are you getting?