Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Switching powders--pressure question

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
BML BML is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Switching powders--pressure question

Quick question regarding pressures.

Shooting a 6.5x284. I've been working with H4831SC for load development and now I'm going to switch to H4350

Published max load for the 4831SC is 45.9
Published max load for the 4350 is 45.5

Assuming all else is equal am I safe to just use my current test data and simply drop all the charges I already tested with the 4831SC by .4 grains?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,965
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
Quick question regarding pressures.

Shooting a 6.5x284. I've been working with H4831SC for load development and now I'm going to switch to H4350

Published max load for the 4831SC is 45.9
Published max load for the 4350 is 45.5

Assuming all else is equal am I safe to just use my current test data and simply drop all the charges I already tested with the 4831SC by .4 grains?
Not if you haven't shot it at lower charges first. I'd drop down for at least a couple of test groups at ascending charges before you get to max. load again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
BML BML is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

I haven't shot it at all yet.

My max load with the 4831sc is just under 51.0 grains.

I was planning on starting around 48.5 grains with the H4350.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,965
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
I haven't shot it at all yet.

My max load with the 4831sc is just under 51.0 grains.

I was planning on starting around 48.5 grains with the H4350.
Huh???
You just said in the first post that the published max is 45.9 gr for h4831 sc and you are saying YOUR max is 51. Something doesn't jibe here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
BML BML is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

I've never loaded under 48 grains and I don't get any pressure signs at all until 50.8 grains and that was with the bullets .010 into the lands.

I've never known a published max load to be an actual max load. They are published low to cover their asses from liability issues.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
BML BML is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

Oh crap I read that wrong. It's 49.5. Damn dislexia kicking in. Glad you said something and made me recheck. That could have been a disaster.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,965
Re: Switching powders--pressure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
I've never loaded under 48 grains and I don't get any pressure signs at all until 50.8 grains and that was with the bullets .010 into the lands.

I've never known a published max load to be an actual max load. They are published low to cover their asses from liability issues.
I've got a few rifles you'll blow your head off with if you try that. My 300 ultra comes to mind; she's doing 3300 fps with a 180 at mid load, and will give bright spots on the brass at top load with many powders. Just because you still get extraction doesn't mean you aren't pushing your luck. I had a strain guage on my last 7stw, and if it seemed warm in that rifle, it was over 65,000 psi already. Some rifles can be pushed a bit if their throat is longer than spec, or the chamber is rather large, but they aren't covering their asses a bit.
It is naive to think they wouldn't want their bullets going faster than their competitors or their powder producing better speed than the rival companies stuff.
If you need more speed, get a bigger gun, end of story.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Switching powders--pressure question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6.5 284 pressure question shooter7 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 06-17-2012 06:46 PM
Pressure question? Casey Napier Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 08-16-2008 09:54 PM
Pressure question on max charge? elmerdeer Reloading 1 05-01-2007 09:27 AM
Switching from 160 gmk to 168 mk question Al8095 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 03-23-2004 07:18 PM
pressure question Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 01-12-2003 11:35 AM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.38%
121 Votes
NO - 48.58%
171 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.05%
60 Votes
Total Votes: 352
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC