Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Swift Scirocco II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Swift Scirocco II

I did not see that. My appologies to Derek. I'm still curious about the changes that were made. Thanks for setting me straight on the jacket. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Scirocco II info link
Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Festus, I got ahead of myself. I was making the comments based on a phone conversation with Swift. Here is what Jan (I think she said her name was) stated to me:
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing is different. The components are the same. Just the process is different. The jacket is still solid copper. The core is the same. Just after 7 years of making this bullet, we have evolved into making it not 'better' but 'more advanced.' Because we don't want to say anything was wrong with the original Scirocco. But the new one shoots better, has higher velocity, advanced terminal performance, and increased wt. retention.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, when I say I know "nothing" about the bullet, I meant nothing is new about the components according to Swift. Just the fabrication process which is proprietory.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Derek,
Thanks for the clarification. If the jacket and core remain the same I wonder what they mean by advanced metallurgy. If you click where it says "order online" you'll find the quote I refer to. I didn't see any metal components other than the jacket and core.
Festus
Old 12-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Festus,

it's no secret that bullet companies purchase their competitors bullets for comparison testing. I'm wondering if Swift didn't do some metallurgy testing of the interbond and accubond and come up with a technique they prefer over their old one regarding the bonding process that may mirror one of their competitors.

I also know that these companies ABSOLUTELY read forums like this one, for endless feedback. I know they do because they told me so, as does Nosler and Speer, and Hornady. The most common negative feedback on the Scirocco was its weight retention and the fact that this bullet really does pancake out. The second most common negative feedback in my experience is the "pickiness" of the bullet when finding a load. I personally didn't have a problem with them in fine tuning a very accurate load in 2 rifles.

My guess is that the Accubond has the highest bullet sales, then the interbond, then the scirocco, and they needed to do something to boost sales.

From all of the forum pictures I've seen of these bonded bullets that have been recovered, I'm most impressed with the scirocco. I'm least impressed with the AB, but I think it is the most accurate. But none are more accurate for me than the TSX.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

My 300RUM loves Scirrocco's,got a bunch of deer and a 526Yd. groundhog.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

what powder, primer, and brass are you using?