Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

SUPERFORMANCE POWDER is SUPER in 260 REM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

SUPERFORMANCE POWDER is SUPER in 260 REM.

I loaded this powder with the 120 gr. A-MAX and got one ragged hole at 100 yds. I have only loaded this one bullet with three different charges but the last one resulted in a fantastic group. No pressure signs at all. I did not go any higher as i was very pleased with the highest of the three. I'm sure i could go higher as this was not the top load for the Creedmore. I used the Creedmore as a reference because they are nearly the same ballistic wise. Did not run the velocities as the chrono was left behind this trip. A lot of people have mixed opinions on this powder. I had to see for myself. I will forge ahead on my own with more bullet weights in the future. It may not be what Hornady loads, but they should in my opinion. When i do chronograph this load i feel sure it is going to be very fast. Just what we all look for in a load.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: SUPERFORMANCE POWDER is SUPER in 260 REM.

Thanks for posting your experience. I have personally had mixed experience with this powder:

I originally bought it for my 22-250. Shot terrible. Worst powder for accuracy in that rifle I have ever found. It was rotten.

I was pretty convinced I got sold a load on some "rocket sience" marketing drivel. In looking at the container, they listed 300WSM data, so . . .

I loaded up a box with 168 gr ttsx as the pill. Best powder I've ever shot for accuracy in that rifle.

So - the old adage holds - don't knock it til you try it!

Good shooting, Happy Easter!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. I have personally had mixed experience with this powder:

I originally bought it for my 22-250. Shot terrible. Worst powder for accuracy in that rifle I have ever found. It was rotten.

I was pretty convinced I got sold a load on some "rocket sience" marketing drivel. In looking at the container, they listed 300WSM data, so . . .

I loaded up a box with 168 gr ttsx as the pill. Best powder I've ever shot for accuracy in that rifle.

So - the old adage holds - don't knock it til you try it!

Good shooting, Happy Easter!
Yes, i encountered many who knocked it. I only wish i had tried it before the buy out started. i am unable to locate bullets and powder locally now. When i do,i will continue with the heavier bullets. I'm glad you got good results with the 300 and was sorry to hear about the 22-250 as i also have one. May have to re-think the 250. Anyway thats where it stands for now. I would like to hear from others and their experience with the SUPER POWDER! Good Luck and Happy Easter to you also. ..... SEMPER FI!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

I haven't seen load data for the powder in the 260. I have a can, where did you get the info?

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

I have had some good experience with it. I only load for one other person and that being my son in law who has a 300 wsm. The first year i loaded for him i didnt have aclue since im not a 30 fan so i thought i would get him a box of 150 nosler bt. and make it work for our white tail. I got the gun shooting pretty darn good for a browning factory a-bolt. The vel. was kind of slow of what i thought it should be but it was getting 3/4 moa. The next year the superperformance came out and i was reading the data on label of what a wsm should get. I tried it out and raised the vel. 100 fps from the h-414 but still didn thit there advertisement mark but all in all pretty darn good powder. I later tried it in one of my 6mm x 284's noticed it wa a little slower burning rate than imr 4350 but raised the vel. in it. I didnt switch due to i have a lupy with varminet hunter reticle and with my 4350 load the vel. works near to perfect for reticle.
Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb View Post
I haven't seen load data for the powder in the 260. I have a can, where did you get the info?
You will likely never find any load data for it as Hornady apparently chose not to. I referenced the load from the Creedmore. I started in the middle of the road and worked up from there. I used the HDY. 120 gr. A-Max and found a great accuracy node with it. If you choose to do the same, go slow and let it work for you as it did for me. I loaded (3) 5 round Test loads and the top load was the best with no pressure signs at all. I did not have my chronograph with me so i can only guess at the speed . I would think 2900+ Good luck if you try it. ..... SEMPER FI!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargesniper View Post
You will likely never find any load data for it as Hornady apparently chose not to. I referenced the load from the Creedmore. I started in the middle of the road and worked up from there. I used the HDY. 120 gr. A-Max and found a great accuracy node with it. If you choose to do the same, go slow and let it work for you as it did for me. I loaded (3) 5 round Test loads and the top load was the best with no pressure signs at all. I did not have my chronograph with me so i can only guess at the speed . I would think 2900+ Good luck if you try it. ..... SEMPER FI!
Good call. The Creedmore has less velocity than the 260 but Hornady lists it "after" the 260 to give the impression that its better. I'll check it out. Thanks!

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk