Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

super tight chamber??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

super tight chamber??

first question.

i have a custom 7mm mag built on a argentine mauser 98 ,09 action, 26" barrel...super, super accurate..i mean like out of the ordinary accurate...here is the deal...i also owned a 7mm in a savage. This custom gun will NOT! chamber shells that were shot out of the savage. And it's really hard to full length size them enough. The only way i can resize them enough is by adjusting the sizer die down so far i can barely cam it over when i run the case up....The thing that baffles me the most is i bought a couple boxes of new Rem ammo that chamber in and out perfect...Why am i having such a hard time sizing cases that were shot in another rifle? The new empty's shot out of the custom chamber fine and will require nothing more than neck sizing... baffled on the resizing

second question

if this custom gun has that tight of a chamber...will the pressure be higher for any given load?..using less powder to achieve the same velocity as in say the savage?

i haven't spent a lot of time with this gun yet..it also has a stock that don't fit me very well..(see thread in gunsmithing)...but i need to get this rifle up and running...shoots way to good to be sitting around.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: super tight chamber??

shade mt .....

first question

You've described a very common problem that happens whether you're loading for a dozen rifles or just one. Your case width above the belt just requires a bit more resizing. Read up on the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. It's designed specifically for belted magnum handloads that don't chamber.

second question

There are several reasons why each and every chamber develops pressure differently. That's why it's a good idea to work up loads slowly.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

thanks larrywillis

i'll check that out..
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Bronze Member

checked it out and although the die seems like a good idea. i'm not 100% sure its necessary. I shoot a number of belted mags. This is the first time iv'e ever encountered this. Normally i use the same brass in each rifle..i was just baffled as to why i could not resize them to work...By using only brass shot out of that particular rifle and neck sizing..i should be ok....thanks for the info though...and i wouldn't mind buying one. whether necessary or not.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Shade mt .........

Using ordinarey calipers, measure the diameter of your resized cases just above the belt. Be sure to use the wide part of your blade. Then compare that to a new unfired case. See what you get ......
Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Larry is right, it is extremely common for brass fired in one gun not to chamber in another even after FL sizing.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

For several years I had three 7mm Rem mags, two Kimber model 89's and a Remington custom shop 700C. Once fired cases from my model 700 would not chamber in either of the Kimber rifles. I'm guessing if you try your cases from the Savage to other custom 7mm's you will find those cases won't chamber in them either. I'd also guess they will chamber fine in my model 700.