Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Suggestions for improving handloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Suggestions for improving handloads?

How far do you go to keep your loads consistant? I currently sort every bullet by weight and double check the bullet length to the ogive using a stoney point bullet comperator. I also weigh every charge twice using a dillon digital scale and measure the overall length, again to the ogive. I check the length of the cases before loading. I used the VLD inside deburring tool on case necks as well. How beneficial would it be to weigh the empty cases of new brass and/or checking case necks using a micrometer. I am just getting back into the handloading game after a long absence, and need any advice that you could give.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Suggestions for improving handloads?

I also square the primer pocket and flashhole deburr.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a good book that covers everything you are mentioning. I had reloaded for nearly 30 years, and this book really filled in the gaps.

http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html

I really enjoyed reading this book.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Cody, if you believe that every little bit helps, then you may also wish to use a concentricity gauge on your finished loads. Definitely sort brass by wt. Turning necks helps but do it properly. Some say it isn't necessary on "good" brass, like Lapua.

I don't know about the rest of your loading technique but one thing that helped me years ago was a simple tip from a bench shooter in Tucson. When seating the bullet, run it into the die until you feel the first "seat," this is only the initial marriage of the bullet base to the case mouth...bullet is only in neck about 1/16". Back it out, give the brass a 180 turn, run it up the die again but only moving seating the bullet about 1/8 inch at a time. Back out again, rotate brass 1/4 turn, run it up again, back it out, turn in another 180, then seat all the way. This helps with a concentric seat.

You also check you finished loads in a mic right? It is a good idea to make sure all finished rounds are identical from brass base to ogive.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

I will also fully support Glen Zediker's book. Mine is so torn up the pages are curling, the front and rear covers are just about to fall of and the front 20 and rear 30 or pages have come out.

I'd buy a new one but I've got so many lines and phrases marked or underlined in my old one, it would take me a week or more to duplicate my work.

Maybe if Glen would update the current version and republish it, I'd make the new purchase. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM

At one time when I was crazy,I spent more time tinkering with brass and bullets it was taking the fun out of reloading.Now I just do basic case preparation,a precise loading,I set the bullet on the lands and go shooting.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

I agree. I don't like all of the brass prep. That part is certainly not fun to me. This alone is one reason why I may just go to all Nosler brass. Already sorted by wt., already trimmed to length, primer pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred.

It's probably worth it.