Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stupid reloading moments...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Stupid reloading moments...

I don't even have a radio on when I am loading. Get YOUR system down and stick to it. ONE container of powder on the table next to the press turned so I can read it while I am loading with that powder. I don't even load multiple cases with powder any more, Powder goes in then bullet goes in that case, fortunately I do not load a LOT of pistol ammo.

What ever system you use make sure you have thought it through and stick to it, it might save yours or someone else's life one day.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
If you use any of the old millitary pulled powders that come in gallon bleach jugs make sure you clearly mark the jugs so that you can discern the type powder from any angle.

I touched off 95 grains of 8208 instead of 95 grains of WC872 one time becuse I did not have my jugs clearly marked. That mistake was further compounded by my assumption that people put things back where they got them when they come borrow something.

I did something similar when I used WC-852 powder in a load instead of WC-872. But it wasn't because my bottles weren't properly labeled, I just grabbed the wrong 1 lb. container off the shelf. I was breaking in the barrel and only loaded one round but it was enough to seize and ruin the action.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I have never done it, but mixing up powders is my greatest concern. Is it H1000, H110 or H100V I picked up?

I have powders stored on a separate shelf arraigned in order roughly of burn rate. On the bench I only keep 1 jug of powder-whichever one I am using. In addition to that I mark my powder dump with whatever powder is in it/on the bench with a dry erase marker.

I did load about 15 pistol cases once with bullets and no powder and was dropping them into a bin with about 200 already loaded cases. I weighed every single loaded case and started pulling bullets with the lightest rounds until I fond them all...about 75 cases later
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I have never done it, but mixing up powders is my greatest concern. Is it H1000, H110 or H100V I picked up?

I have powders stored on a separate shelf arraigned in order roughly of burn rate. On the bench I only keep 1 jug of powder-whichever one I am using. In addition to that I mark my powder dump with whatever powder is in it/on the bench with a dry erase marker.

I did load about 15 pistol cases once with bullets and no powder and was dropping them into a bin with about 200 already loaded cases. I weighed every single loaded case and started pulling bullets with the lightest rounds until I fond them all...about 75 cases later
Hello Forester I have mix feelings in leaving powder in my powder measure. Do you think gunpowder absorbs moisture easily? How would one check moisture content in gunpowder?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Bronze Member

My close call was having reloaded 10mm and took the batch out shooting. One of the taper crimps wasn't tight enough and the hammer fell when my much younger friend pulled the trigger...click, but no bang. Naturally, he racked the slide to extract the 'dud' and chambered the next round from the magazine. When he did, an empty shell casing flew out. He cleared the pistol and showed it to me. There was gunpowder everywhere inside the gun. I tried to blow out the powder, seated the magazine and chambered a round. I was just preparing to fire, when it hit me...why an empty shell casing? I pulled the magazine, cleared the chambered round and visually inspected the throat. Guess was was staring back at me?

Another one I heard of from a friend who was at a pistol comp. Some dude was firing a .45 with his reloads. He also reloads for his .40S&W; managed to accidently slip a .40 in with the box of his .45s. He was chatting with someone while loading his magazine and didn't notice the .40 snuck in with it's bigger brothers. While firing under time, he had a misfire, racked the slide to clear and fired again. Of course, the diameter of the .40 set the primer too low for the firing pin to strike it, but it struck the upper rim, stuffing the live cartridge into the throat. When he racked it, no round ejected, but he was in a hurry.

Needless to say, that next shot ended his set.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomestone View Post
Hello Forester I have mix feelings in leaving powder in my powder measure. Do you think gunpowder absorbs moisture easily? How would one check moisture content in gunpowder?
If you are thinking about enough moisture to ruin the powder, no. If you are talking about enough moisture to change the volume to weight ratio, yes. Take small case like a 223 and drop a charge that completely fills the case to the top of the neck. Weigh that charge and write it down. Next time your reloading if there has been a humidity change repeat that using the same case and powder and compare the results. Let me know what you find, I have been challanged to do that several times but always lose the case I used or lose where I wrote down the first results.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I loaded 3 brass with powder and seated bullets one time, without primers. I had powder trickling everywhere and finally figured it out... Doh!