Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stupid reloading moments...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Stupid reloading moments...

Ok, so as a novice in the world of reloading I have already within my first 200 rounds of reloading have made several mistakes.

1st. I made my very first batch of 50 rounds of ammo and it came out flawlessly, and apparently I now thought my s*&t don't stink and ran the next 50 real quick. Well I had to pull them all apart after realizing I didn't let the brass dry out long enough after the cleaner bath and now the powder was all wet.

2nd. mistake was I was on the phone while trying to load and after I hung up I realized I forgot to put powder in all the brass, doh!

3rd. I mixed brass and was having a few rounds get kind of sticky on the bolt after firing and didn't understand why until I realized only 1 brand of brass was sticking. I assume they may be thicker walled and may need a little less powder for less pressure?

So, with this being said I have learned humility once again lol and also that I really do need to completely concentrate all the time no matter how much I do this. So, I took my tv out of my loading room and now only have a radio in there.

Please tell me others have learned the hard ways like this as well? lol...

Mike.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Stupid reloading moments...

Just wait till you stick a case in your sizing die. That will ruin a day real quick. Cause up intill you stick that first case you never had a reason to have a stuck case remover around. Then you have to go track one down. Unless you already have a tap, socket, and screw around.

The other one that I did twice was get a primer in upside down. That is just a little glitch though.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

If you use any of the old millitary pulled powders that come in gallon bleach jugs make sure you clearly mark the jugs so that you can discern the type powder from any angle.

I touched off 95 grains of 8208 instead of 95 grains of WC872 one time becuse I did not have my jugs clearly marked. That mistake was further compounded by my assumption that people put things back where they got them when they come borrow something.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Mike.....I have been reloading for over 40 years now and have made plenty of mistakes so don't feel bad. The important thing is, you have learned a lesson early enough to spare yourself some REAL grief! Two things that you can not do in reloading is (1) get in a hurry (2) have any distractions while you are doing it. This includes other people standing around talking or??? So far you haven't done anything that will have lasting consequences so consider yourself fortunate. An example would be to have more than one powder on the bench and maybe load a magnum case full of 3031 instead of 4831. DISASTER! In reloading you need to be very deliberate with every step and think about what you are doing. As you have already discovered, load up to max SLOWLY and never assume that a max load in one case is good for another brand or even the same brand in some cases. One thing I would recommend you do right away is to carefully study your manual and pay attention to what it says. Reloading is "nothing more than controlled bomb making". Good luck and enjoy safely.....Rich
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Mike.....I have been reloading for over 40 years now and have made plenty of mistakes so don't feel bad. The important thing is, you have learned a lesson early enough to spare yourself some REAL grief! Two things that you can not do in reloading is (1) get in a hurry (2) have any distractions while you are doing it. This includes other people standing around talking or??? So far you haven't done anything that will have lasting consequences so consider yourself fortunate. An example would be to have more than one powder on the bench and maybe load a magnum case full of 3031 instead of 4831. DISASTER! In reloading you need to be very deliberate with every step and think about what you are doing. As you have already discovered, load up to max SLOWLY and never assume that a max load in one case is good for another brand or even the same brand in some cases. One thing I would recommend you do right away is to carefully study your manual and pay attention to what it says. Reloading is "nothing more than controlled bomb making". Good luck and enjoy safely.....Rich
Ouch, I can imagine getting powder confused would be a mistake I don't care to make. It makes me think i will keep my powders away from my loading bench, that way I have to deliberatly get up and seek out the specific powder I am wanting to use. I do try and make sure I reference my loading charts several times before I even get rolling on the loading. I also pin up my load chart on the wall that I'm loading as I work on it so I can constantly reference it.

Great tips guys, thank you!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Well I have a couple of cans of,[ do not fire] but all my guns are all safe, when not sure use a bullet puller.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Keep a small maglight on the reloading bench and look at each case in the blocks with it BEFORE you go sticking bullets in. Takes 10 seconds and might save your face, eyes or life.

Might surprise you what you find missing sometime or when loading pistol you see a double charge.

That normally leads to a "significant emotional event" which culminates in a change of underwear as a minimum.

BH