Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stumped! Chamber pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 AM

Re: Stumped! Chamber pressure

I would pull the firing pin assembly out of the bolt to see how easily it will close. I like my Rem BR bolt to drop on it's own weight. Some like a tiny bit of resistance. This test will tell you if the cases are properly re-sized. You need to look at the back side of the bolt lugs to make sure they are not galled. Hope not. Not an easy fix. Another thing that comes to mind is a short chamber neck. Later! Frank
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

You might try trimming a few cases shorter than normal. The bullet might be getting pinched in the throat.
Good luck!!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Did this issue get resolved? If so, how? Just curious...
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

I had a similar problem on a NEW gun except that I had primer blow-outs all the time even on factory loads. I swore it was the chamber. I even sent it back to Savage and of course there’s never anything wrong with the rifle… they said stop loading hot rounds, even after my detailed explanation.

The comparison of those stuck cases to your other rifles does not compute, there is no corelation. Only that if you compared those other same caliber rifles’ case dimensions before and after, to your Cooper it may help give you some insight.
What headspacing are you getting, before and after dims? What dies you using? Have you tried small base dies? Is it a custom chamber?
I may if I were you, send the gun to re-ream chamber or just rebarrel and then sell it, you might make up most of the cost, I know, I know, its hassle/money, but sometimes the chamber is not reamed exactly as one would want it, and a slightly ‘bad’ chamber is just a small % of thousands to a businessman. If he can sell it, he will. Imho. ..good luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Still working on it, I've tried all the suggestions, no solution. Sent it away to one of the best smiths I know, an "OLD FASHIONED PROFESSIONAL", I'm confident he'll figure it out, he's been around! I didn't want to spend the money because thought Cooper should stand behind a $2,000 new rifle but they thought it was fine. It's not. I'll let everyone know what come's back from my smith and if it's solved be sure to let Cooper know about it.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

I hope your 'Smith does figure it out. I'd like to know 'why' too. I would have the 'Smith draft a letter on a letterhead with the results of findings. Then black out pertinent issue and send Cooper the letter.
If they want results of findings add up everything you and 'Smith have done and send then a billing to get results.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Have your smith look at the bore with his scope. I had a custom .243 act the same way after 100 rounds. Turns out, in spite of my cleaning regimine, I had several layers of copper & carbon built up just past the throat area. I am meticulous with my cleaning, so I was very surprised. My gunsmith recommended a few passes (not more than 3 or 4) with JB's Bore Paste to loosen things up, then clean as before. My pressure problem went away. Just one more thing to check.