Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Stuck case thanks to Hornady one shot!

I stuck a 338 Lap case with the one shot. Broke the shel holder trying to get it out. Turned into a real mess. I use the unique now.

Steve
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

I've been using one shot for well over 10yrs, never had one stuck case. I spray em down in the loading block and I do get the entire case, I don't wait for it to dry and, I spray the inside of FLdies, and body dies as well, I spray the crap out of the the cases as well, until it runs down the case. I would bet that the stuck case are a result of not enough lube. clean up is simple enough as well, throw the trays in the dish washer
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with quite a few on this, I load several thousand rounds a year, go through about 20 aerosol cans of one shot, as RT2506 said the one shot in the pump spray is crap. If you get a stuck case with one shot, its likely that your die or brass is dirty and the vent holes in the die are stopping up, rcbs lube will stop em up to, but the one shot pump is the worst, you get to much lube and it has nowhere to go. I use one shot as I said, and load 204 through 338 edge with over 30 others in between and get 1 sometimes 2 stuck cases a year. Just keep everything clean.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

I guess I didn't say what I use for lube. I use rcbs lube in the little 2oz bottle with the little green pad. I use a bottle every three years or so, and about 1/2 of that is lube I scrape off the pad when I'm cleaning the pad. As long as you get the lube where you need it on the bottom half, there is never a stuck case or neck dent. I've only stuck two cases ever and both were forgotten lube.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I've been using one shot for well over 10yrs, never had one stuck case. I spray em down in the loading block and I do get the entire case, I don't wait for it to dry and, I spray the inside of FLdies, and body dies as well, I spray the crap out of the the cases as well, until it runs down the case. I would bet that the stuck case are a result of not enough lube. clean up is simple enough as well, throw the trays in the dish washer
This is what I am thinking also. The spray was too light and not enough lube actually got on the case . I like a lube that has some body (viscosity ) to it so it keeps the two metal surfaces apart to some degree so one shot leaves me unimpressed.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

If you read the directions on One Shot you are suppose to spray the inside of the die also.

I've used it if you feel resistance going in STOP and re-lube, I think the biggest issue is depending on the loading block 1/3 to 1/2 the base doesn't get lube.

Never stuck a case yet it works just a matter of preferences.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

I use One Shot successfully for my 223 And 6mmAR. Just spray the rounds line up on a paper towel in lines of 20 cases, then roll them over to get the other side. Let dry for about 2 minutes and size. Larger, 6.5 x284 and up, it's a disaster with a guaranteed stuck case every time! RCBS with a pad for this work is dead reliable. Haven't found anything better. One shot and others like Imperial do not have enough lubricity for the larger high pressure rounds with my rifles and chambers.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt